May 1, 2022

Jamison•

I wake up early, to make Evie chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. When the young girl awakes, and tiredly walks into the kitchen, I'm quick to greet her. I have no idea how this parent thing works.

"Good morning princess," I smile, picking her up. She rubs her tired eyes

"Good morning daddy." She places a soft kiss on my cheek. She scratches her face, as soon as she does.

"Your face is itchy." She claims, talking about the light stubble I have growing. I laugh at the comment.

"Thanks for letting me know kiddo. You want some breakfast?" I ask, setting her down on a bar stool.

"Mhm." Evie cheers, taking a sip of the orange juice I have out for her.

"Did you sleep okay?" I question, putting a hot pancake on her plate. She nods her head, and looks at me confused.

"Momma cuts them up for me... can you do it too?" She asks, shyly.

"Of course."

"Daddy,"

"Yes?" I reply. I thought it would take longer for me to get used to hearing her call me that, but it feels so natural.

"I love you." She smiles. I can't help but smile too. I enjoy being around her, more than I can begin to explain.

"I love you more pumpkin!" I tell her, kissing her forehead, setting the now cut, pancake, in front of her.

She eats the pancake, smiling the whole time.

"You remember Finn and Trent?" I ask her. Evie nods her head, thoroughly enjoying her breakfast.

"They're going to come over today, alright?" I feel like I have to make sure she's okay with everything that happens. Let her know what's going on, and what her opinion is on it.

"Okay. Is Momma going to come too?" She asks. It's so hard to explain this to her.

"No honey, she's not going to come today." I tell her.

"She said you're a- acquaintances." She stutters. A big word for a little kid.

"Did she now?" I question, wondering in which context the word was spoken.

"Yeah. But then I saw you guys kiss at the beach. So does that mean you love her?" She asks me.

I struggle finding the words to explain what I want to say. I don't know how I feel for Alexa anymore. She betrayed my trust. She betrayed me. Anytime I even think of her, I feel anger and sadness.

"I don't know kiddo." Is all I can think to say.

"Aunt Stella says you do." Evie claims.

"Why don't we get you cleaned up, before Trent and Finn come over." I say, helping her down from the stool.

"Is Trent and Finn my uncles?" She questions, as we walk down the hall, and into the bathroom.

"Sure thing cupcake." I smile, helping her brush her teeth. Her blue eyes, are vibrant. Her innocence makes me so happy. She's a sweet little thing, that deserves nothing but love.