My First Day at Seattle Grace

I pulled my scrub top over my head as my fellow interns got dressed.

"Hi," stated a young man around my age stumbled in front of me. I refrained from giggling then said,"Hi. I'm Aviana. You can call me Avi." He held out his hand and uttered,"My name is George. O'Malley. We met at the Mixer. You were wearing a blue strapless dress..."

My first thought about George was either he is virgin or gay. Or both. A brunette shot me a sympathetic look then stated, "Meredith Grey."

"Avi Parker. Nice to meet you. Aren't you Ellis Grey's daughter?"

She sighed and muttered,"Please don't tell anyone. They'd never leave me alone. Royal surgeon blood and all." I laughed and agreed,"I know how that might feel." And boy did I. We chatted and discovered that we both had the Nazi as our resident.

"I wonder why they call them the Nazi,"a blonde named Izzie Stevens wondered out loud.

"That's the Nazi," Cristina asked as we stopped at the end of the hallway. It was a short African American woman.

"I thought the Nazi would be a guy," George stated.

" I thought the Nazi would be... a Nazi," Meredith added.

"Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant and they call her the Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice," Izzie offered up.

"Let me guess. You're the model," Cristina asked, scanning Izzie. Wait, a model? Izzie said nothing but when we approached Bailey.

"Hi, my name is Isobel Stevens but everyone calls me Izzie,"Izzie stated, holding out her hand. Bailey turned to us, an irritated glare on her face then said,"I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you. That ain't gonna change."

I nodded as she proceeded. "Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers. Nurses will page you,"she motioned to the little machines as she grabbed a clipboard and started down the hallway.

"You answer every page at a run. A run. That's rule two." We each grabbed a pager as we hurried to catch up to her.

"Your first shift starts now and ends in forty eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop, and don't complain."

She pushed open a door, revealing a room with several bunk beds. "On call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can. Which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleepin', don't wake me. Unless your patient is dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only would you have killed a person, but you would've woke me for no reason. We clear?"

I counted the rules and raised my hand . Bailey lifted an eyebrow and asked,"Yes?"

"That's only four rules,"I pointed out. Just as her pager went off, she stated,"Rule number five;When I move, you move." She pushed past us and started jogging down the hallway, us interns following us.

"Get out of my way," Bailey yelled, shoving past the nurses.

We ended up on the roof, which, might I add, made my stomach churn. I was terrified of heights. Damn... The helicopter door flung open and Bailey demanded, "What'd we got?"

"Katie Bryce, fifteen year old female, new onset seizures, intermeittent for the past week,"the paramedic explained as we moved the young blonde girl onto the stretcher. "I. V. lost en route, started grand mal seizing as we descended. "

We ran, pushing the stretcher then entered a trauma room while Bailey shouted out orders and we tried to set up with screwing something up.

"Alright, get her on her side," Bailey called out. Meredith and George helped roll Katie onto her side as Bailey commanded,"Izzie, ten milligrams, diazepam I. M."

Izzie looked nervously at our resident so I pushed her out of the way and grabbed a large bore I. V, with the medicine in it, causing Katie to quit seizing and her eyes to flutter shut. The machines settled down, calm beeping over taking the room.

"Great job,Parker,"Bailey praised, nodding.

"What'd we got? A wet fish on dry land," a doctor stated as he peeked down at Katie as he entered the room, taking the clip board out of the nurse's hands.

"Absolutely,Dr. Burke,"Bailey replied, rolling her eyes.

"Okay,Dr. Bailey, let's shotgun her," Burke announced, handing her back to chart. She turned to us then said, "That means every test in the book. C. T, C. B. C, Chem-7, Tox screen - Cristina, you're on labs.George, patient work ups, Meredith, Aviana, get ready for a C. T., she's your responsibility now." She started to leave the room when Izzie stopped her. "Uh, wait! What about me?"

"Oh honey, you get to do rectal exams." I grimaced as Izzie sighed sadly.

*LATER*

"You're lost,"Katie stated as we stood in the elevator, tapping our feet.

"We are not lost,"I protested as we exited the tiny space.

"How are you feeling," Meredith asked, as we walked down the hallway.

"How do you think I'm feeling?! I'm missing my pageant,"the young girl complained.

"Your pageant,"I demanded, scoffing.

"The Spokane Teen Miss,"Katie bragged as we turned into a new hallway. "I was in the top ten after the first two rounds. This is my year. I could have won."

I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Coulda, woulda shoulda. Plans change,dude." I groaned as we stopped, turning back around.

"You are so lost,"Katie claimed, "What are you two, like, new?" I bent down in front of her then mocked in a teenage voice,"What are you, like, ten?"

She rolled her eyes and and kept babbling on,"I twisted my ankle once, during talent rehearsal. I do rhythmic gymnastics, which is like, really cool. Nobody else does it. I tripped over my ribbon and I didn't get stuck with doctors this clueless. And that was like, a nurse."

I looked over at Meredith who looks like she was ready to murder the teenager. I shot her a comforting look, earning a smile back.

*Hour 7*

As Meredith and I approached the table where George, Cristina, and Izzie sat, their chatter immediately died out, them studying their food.

"Katie Bryce is a pain,"I complained as we sat down.

"If I hadn't taken the hippocratic oath, I'd Kevorkian her with my bare hands,"Mere growled, clearly frustrated. We all shot her strange looks which she asked, "What?

We shook our heads just as Dr. Burke approached our table.

"Good morning,interns,"he stated cheerfully,"It's posted but I thought I'd share the good news personally. As you know, the honor of performing the first surgery is reserved for the intern that shows the most promise. As I'm running the O. R. today, I get to make that choice."

He paused, glancing at all of us before he said,"Aviana Parker." He clasped a hand on my shoulder as I froze. What? Why me? I don't understand...

Hope you're liking the story so far. Please vote,enjoy, and comment!!!