A Cup Of Coffee Will Do. Thanks

The morning came too early for my likings. Only because I had a killer migraine and a murderous hangover. Oh, what the hell? Who am I kidding, they might as well be the same thing. Note to self: Never let Cristina convince you to drink with her. It never ends pretty.

I trudged downstairs where Izzie, George, and Meredith was cleaning and drinking coffee. I groaned as I landed face first on the couch before I screamed, the pillows thankfully muffling the sound. Izzie poked me, with her shoe I think, then asked,"You need anything to kill that hangover?"

I raised my head just enough so she could hear me clearly,"A cup of coffee will do. Thanks. And maybe some Motrin." I heard the pill bottle rattle before she poked me again to deliver a to-go coffee cup and three Motrin.

I downed the medicine before I stood and glanced in the hallway mirror. The reflection that greeted me was not pretty either. I groaned and announced I was grabbing a quick shower before I climbed the stairs.

At The Hospital:

I rushed through the corridors while trying to pull my hair into a ponytail. Derek walked beside me and declared, "You're late."

"Screw off. So are you!" I entered the patient's room and ducked behind Christina and Mere then hissed,"Don't say a word."

They nodded and we waited for Burke to arrive. The patient, was Annie Connor and had an extremely large tumor. I don't know if I wanted to get sick or feel sorry for her.

Burke entered the room then greeted the patient before zeroing in on me and stated, "Dr. Parker. Please present the case."

I looked up, with a deer in the headlights look, before I slowly begun," Annie Connors is a 43-year-old woman who presented last night with progressive shortness of breath for the past three months. Found to have a very large tumor of unknown origin pressed against her diaphragm. Stable vital signs. Scheduled for CT this morning, sir."

He nodded then said," Thank you, Dr. Parker." He turned to Miss. Connors and asked her if she was claustrophobic.

"I've been household for the last year. How claustrophobic could I be?" Alex chuckled at her words while Burke replied," All right then. Dr. Stevens is going to take you up for a CT. It'll give us a better look at the tumor, and we'll know how to proceed."

They finished chatting and since Annie asked for Alex to take her down to CT, he pushed the gurney towards the elevator while I stood staring blankly at a wall.

"You seemed dazed,Parker. Everything alright?" Burke asked as he stood beside me. I snapped out of my trance and replied, "Um, yeah. Fine... Kinda... No, not really. He chuckled at my uncertainty then questioned,"Is there anything I can do for you?"

I rubbed my eyes tiredly then replied, "A cup of coffee would be nice, thanks."

He nodded then stated,"Great. I'll get you your coffee and you'll get it after you're done on Shepherd's service."

I took a quick glance at my watch then groaned and raced away while saying,"You're the best! Thanks for the coffee!"

I stepped into another room where the rest of my fellow interns and resident stood and Izzie was presenting,"Mr. Harper had a coronary bypass yesterday. His blood pressure, currently 100/65. It was running low overnight down to 70/30, but responded to medication. Postoperative labs show a crit of 30 and normal coagulation. Chest tube output has halted over the last two hours."

"What's the plan?" Bailey inquired, turning to face the blonde intern.

"Chest x-ray and check the tube for possible occlusion." Izzie replied with a know it all tone. Bailey nodded and reassured the patient's wife that he would before fine before we moved on to yet another patient's room where a man was attempting to walk and Derek stood to the side, studying him. Bailey greeted the two men and Shepherd turned to face us.