007

I stood up and followed Dr. Burke as he asked, "Something the matter,Dr. Parker?" I gulped then muttered,"I was kind of hoping that George could perform the first surgery." He turned on his heel then asked,"Do you not want the surgery,Dr. Parker?"

I nodded then said,"Of course I do. But, I was at the first in my class at Massachusetts University, sir, and with all due respect, I think George would be the better option, yah know? Give him a head start?" He grinned down at me then stated,"I like the way you think,Parker. Alright. O'Malley will have the first surgery. You are now my favorite intern. Keep it that way."

I walked back to the table where everyone stared at me in astonishment. Meredith shook out of her groove and exclaimed, "I can't believe you got picked first. You suck!" I giggled nervously then peeked at George through my eyelashes as Burke waved him over.

*Later in Katie's room*

"Katie, honey, mom and dad are here,"a woman who I assumed was her mother cooed like she was a puppy dog. Meredith closed her chart then said,"They gave her a sedative for the CT scan, so she's a little groggy."

The mother nodded then asked, "Will she be all right?" Katie's father stepped forward and questioned,"Our doctor at home said she might need an operation, is that true?"

"What kind of operation," inquired the worried mother. I looked over at Meredith who shrugged then I said,"She's, um, well, you know what, I'm not, I'm not the doctor, uh, I'm a doctor, but I'm not Katie's doctor, so I'll go get him for you."

We scurried out of the room to find Bailey, which wasn't hard.

"What,"she snapped, glaring at us. I cleared my throat then said, " Katie's parents have questions. Do you talk to them, or do I ask Burke?" Bailey sighed and stated,"No, Burke's off the case, Katie belongs to the new attending now, Dr. Shepherd, he's over there." Shepherd??

Meredith and I took a few steps in the direction where Bailey was pointing towards then stopped dead when we finally saw who it was. Meredith's eyes widened and she started to turn to leave when he glanced our way, causing him to a do double take. His blue eyes held me captive but I quickly turned and scurried off in the direction Meredith ran to.

I was in the stairway, carrying Katie's labs when someone called for me. I turned to see Dr. Shepherd standing at the bottom of the steps, frowning up at me. My lips curled in a half smile as he demanded, "What are you doing here,Ana?" I swallowed then answered, "Last I checked, I was an intern here,Dr. Shepherd."

"Oh so now I'm Dr. Shepherd,"he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. I nodded and said, "You will always be Dr. Shepherd here, Derek. I have a life here. I'm free-"

"You had a life back in Manhattan. You were free back in New York. You had a wonderful internship back at the practice,"he protested, stepping towards me.

"Had,"I said,stepping down near him. "I had a life, freedom,a wonderful internship. Had, Derek. That changed. I left to escape all the drama so, I asked The Chief if he had an empty internship handy. He said yes and I could have it."

He shook his head and questioned,"So you're just going to act like you're a whole other person, erase who you are, or who you once were?" I shrugged then answered,"If it will work, then yea, I will. You and The Chief are the only two who know who I am. And I fully intend on keeping it that way."

He shook his head and asked, "Who are you going as now?" I bit my lip then muttered, "Aviana Parker. And I am keeping it also." I turned around, fixing my French braid as I made my way up the stairs and slid down the wall of an empty corridor.