Chapter Thirty-One: Awakening

HELIOS

When Paham asked me to describe myself in one word, I answered neutrality.

As a child, and as a prince, I must always remain unbiased. To be unemotional but sensitive. To view issues with a fair heart and mind. I mustn't pick a side.

It's why I don't understand why, despite the strict teachings, my father does not adhere to neutrality. I have always wondered why, despite his numerous advisors, he seeks the woman who imprisons herself in that room.

A room located in the eastern tower, where she witnesses the first rise of the sun. In that place, the sun never sets. The darkness of the night never visits. Not just because the night has shortened but due to her soul magic ㅡ the daylight.

"Helios."

I turned around to see my sickly mother approach me. Her lips and face were pale. Two handmaidens had to carefully hold her because she left her bed again.

"Mère." I greeted.

"Have you seen your father?"

"He's talking to Sorin." I pointed to the second room in the corridor.

Mother stared at it for a minute before nodding. She turned her back first, heading towards the library. When she glanced back, I knew I was supposed to follow.

"Let us hurry," she instructed, eyes sharp. "We must take a review on the kingdom rules again, Helios. Do not slack on your studies."

I swallowed my disappointment. I was looking forward to playing outside today, but even without my father and teacher nagging me to study, my mother will always find me.

As a prince, not as a child, I must learn the rules every day. I must be familiarized with the laws. I must be able to speak to them without help or support. The first nine years of my life were only dedicated to studying and memorizing rules. It was always... what I should know and what I should do.

Those thin papers with black ink spilled over them have caged me forever. When I thought Paham's offer to spend time in the academy was my freedom, I was subjected to more rules and expectations.

But between the Palace and Ukiyo, I would choose the latter every time. I believe that's what angered my father because, for eleven years, I haven't left the academy. I paid visits every other year but it was only for a short time. The longest was when my mother died.

I hated my father even more after that. Hearing that he now frequents his visit to that woman, and even spends nights in that room, disgusts me.

I do not like her. Even with the similarities of our soulstones.

"Mère, why don't you like Sorin?"

She was weaker that day. She spent more hours in bed than walking around the garden. Even the physician looking after her was alerted, advising me to accompany her whenever I can due to her constitution refusing to improve.

"Elle a tout gâché..."

"Mais comment?"

Her cold hands held mine. "Never believe her, Helios, for she is the reason why everything happened."

I didn't get any more detailed explanation. Mother had to take a rest before I could ask for more and I had to leave for Ukiyo the next day. A few days after that, I received news about my mother's passing death.