Chapter Thirty-Three: Deadly

TAMARA

Raven was nowhere to be seen after that.

Damon didn't need medical assistance but Raven did win their match. Unang nawala si Raven, nagpaalam na magbabanyo daw pero kalahating-oras na at 'di pa rin bumabalik, then Damon was the next to disappear.

Azriel glanced at Giovanni, who was stretching to get ready for his match with Kaizen. "What happened?"

"Anong what happened?"

"Where did Damon go?"

Giovanni sighed, making a small shake of his head. "Az, hindi dahil magpinsan kami ay lagi na kaming magkasama. Hindi din ibig sabihin no'n na alam ko kung saan 'yon pumupunta lagi."

He didn't let Azriel respond as he got up in small jumps. Isang nakakakilabot na ngisi ang bumisita sa labi niya bago siya nagpaalam na makikipaglaban na.

Watching him, and the rest of the top Selected fight, I could see why they're regarded as skilled fighters. Kahit na mukhang magkakaparehas ang lakas nila, except Damon, they have their fighting techniques. That makes them either advantageous or disadvantageous to others. Damon likes to use his brute strength, Raven dominates the battlefield with her strategies and speed, Dustine balances in both reaction and strength, Dayang can squash anyone, Azriel is an unexpected force in battle, and Giovanni is that cunning fox who aggravates anyone.

Naalala ko si Kaizen na nakalaban din ni Raven noon. This time, he couldn't handle Giovanni's strength as well. Within a minute, tumba na siya.

Sumunod si Azriel na kalaban si Dustine. Naaliw ako sa laban na nangyari sa kanila. They were both agile with a quick reaction time, with Azriel's only advantage being his silent presence and Dustine with her strength. But one misstep caused the conclusion of the match.

Azriel went for a surprise attack behind Dustine, ngunit lingid sa kaalaman niya ay napansin ito ng babae. Just as he appeared behind her, Dustine held the back of his shirt and slammed him to the ground, making her the winner.

The audience simultaneously let out the same awed reaction. Hindi lang sa hinahangaan nila si Dustine bilang isa sa mga top Selected na babae, it was also their deep dislike for dark magic that made them support the other.

And unlike their complete fear of Raven or disapproval of Azriel's presence, mine was disbelief and disregard. Disbelief that I was able to reach this match and disregard for my fighting skills.

Dahil ang kalaban ko ay si Beatrix.

As usual, whenever she's fighting, her red hair is tied up in a bun. Lagi, kapag nagkakaharap kami ay may kung anong nakakasakit na salita siyang bibitawan, ngunit ngayon... she just went into position while staring seriously at me.

And it was nice. When I stood there in the ring with an opponent, of higher skill than mine, staring at me as if I was a competition.

Tanging si Azriel lang at Raven ang tumitingin sa'kin na kapareho, na kaya at deserve ko ding tumayo sa kasing-lebel nila.

"C'mon." Beatrix mouthed once we heard the ring.

Umatake nga ako, ngunit hindi sa paraang gusto niya. Beatrix smiled as if she has completely convinced me to take the initiative, but it was all faked by me. Nang makalapit sa kaniya at nang ihanda ko ang kamay para sa isang suntok, her eyes followed my movement and I can see her preparing, so I changed positions. I switched to her back and landed one of the kicks that Raven taught me, making Beatrix move a few steps away.