Chapter Thirty-Nine: Fate

Hi, I'm back! Can't promise frequent updates dahil busy but I'll try my best! Mukhang mahaba-haba pa ang librong 'to ᕙ(⇀‸↼ )ᕗ

I hope you have an enjoyable read!

"You are... Helena?"

We found Sorin in one of the empty alleys. Kaharap niya ang misteryosong bata na kasama ko din ngayon. Seeing Helena in one of her memories startled me a bit, kaya napasulyap pa ako kung nandito pa rin ang katabi.

Indeed, there was the owner of the memories beside me, her arms crossed and lips in a grim line. It was a different reaction from the confused Helena who is facing Sorin right now.

"Yes..." kumunot ang noo nito. "Ano pong kailangan niyo?"

She made her voice small, like that of a child's. Even the mystery and that all-knowing air around her was replaced by an innocent gaze. Pwede din palang artista ang batang 'to, ano?

"You can drop the act," Sorin said, gaze hardening. "I know who you are. The god of time or better yet... the mother of all divine rulers."

I blinked in surprise, jaw dropping, as I immediately snapped my head to Helena. "You...? Ikaw pala ang puno't dulo ng lahat ng 'to, e!" akusa ko sa kaniya.

She shot me a glare. "What? Hey, all I did was make five other rulers to rule for me! I never asked one of them to fall in love with a human!"

"E sana kung hindi mo sila ginawa, hindi mangyayari 'to!"

"Kung hindi ko sila ginawa, wala ka dito ngayon!"

"Okay lang!"

She stared at me, flabbergasted. Napahilamos ako ng mukha. That sounded stupid. I just wanted to blame someone.

But... Helena as the god of time? I didn't expect it, but it's not a complete surprise. Noong sinabi niya pa lang na memorya niya 'tong pinasok namin, I started to suspect her identity. I had already expected her to be some god-like being. Although, hindi ko naman inakala na siya talaga 'yong simula! Akala ko nga anak siya ng isa sa mga rulers.

"What a smart child," the Helena in the memory said, "you've already deduced everything just from reading a few books?"

Tama. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to finish even one book. Matagal na akong nabored.

"It wasn't hard to connect things," sagot ni Sorin.

"So? Why did you want to see me?"

"You are the god of time and mother of all gods, so... so you know how to help me, right?"

Helena of the memories frowned. "Help you?"

"Yes. To stop my twin from being with Lionel. Those of their blood... they will only cause us harm."

"Child," bumuntong-hinga ang mukhang-bata, "how are you certain that the blood of that man will bring you to harm?"

Sorin clenched her fists, jaw moving as she tried hard to control the onslaught of words. "Because-" she took a sharp breath, "that's what happened before! That man caused the curse that was placed on Silas and Hiraya! Isn't it right to follow this pattern? As long as our soul and their blood won't mix, then we can avoid unhappiness. I... I don't want to put my twin into misery."

"But this time, you have received the blessing of the sun god, yes?"

"I don't trust that god."

Napataas ako ng kilay. That was a brave statement from a child blessed by the sun. She was chosen as the Mistress of the Light, yet it seems that she despises her god.