captain america: the first avenger pt 3

athena's pov

the teachers found me shivering in the bathroom. i knew that i was in serious trouble. but i wasn't, it turned out. i had been excused as a reason of medical issues. they dismissed me to the hospital firm, which was just so close to the classroom that i was in. i could see the group of people that went into the military base, the people in the horse-drawn carriage, and not to mention the man who used to be scrawny, turned bulk just in an experiment. 

i wondered, how easy was it to bulk someone up, make them a war hero and a sacrificial of war when necessary? i shivered at the thought of it. 

i looked away from the window and realised that i was the only one in the hospital ward, and i could wish to do whatever i wanted, the next checkup from the people would be at dinnertime where they would send in dinner and usher me to sleep after collecting back the dishes to wash. the school that i was studying was a boarding school, so we didn't have to return back home. and besides, it was for my safety. my house that i lived in, alone, was approximately a mile away from where the school was. and the world war was just spreading so fast, i could never know when it rained down bombs or debris. yes, staying at the school was still dangerous, hell, everywhere in this world was dangerous, but i didn't give a damn of where i was. i didn't even care about accommodation. 

i saw a huge military car exit the base. someone was going on missions, i thought. i watched, as the car whooshed by, there was only a small group of people on it. it was just the approximate amount of people for an elite team. in the midst of the people that i had seen, one of them was the bulkified man that i had saw before. they were heading off to battle. there were weaponry in the car that they were riding in. tons of them, not to mention that the soldiers were in complete full battle gear with breastplates that could shield them from a knife attack. 

i started to look, as the sun started to set, the battalion was starting to drive off into the distance, leaving me alone again. i felt that familiar sensation when that thing inside me wanted to show me something or take me somewhere again, and this time i didn't struggle. 

take me wherever you want me to be. 

i felt myself go light and my subconsciousness drifted off into the distance. this time, i found myself right in front of the base. there was something weird about this whole business with me, to be honest, sometimes, people could see me appearing and disappearing off to somewhere else, but sometimes, they didn't see me. but today was the first case. i appeared somewhere into the military base, i knew it, since i saw the familiar walls, and realised that i was in a deeper corner of the base. 

i never saw the group of people exit the base after seeing the experiment, so i thought that they must've laid their roots on the base, or just temporarily. i appeared in an office with quite a lot of personal belongings and it included six desks, but the door was still tightly closed, as if no one had entered from there. it was the truth. i didn't even know how i got there exactly. where were the remaining two people's belongings? and where were the people? 

my second question was answered, when the closed door opened. 

"the food's not bad..." i heard someone say, and everyone's gaze looked at me. 

"who are you and how did you get onto this base?"

"answer the question." the black male said and looked at me menacingly. i didn't know how to react other than look back with an unnerving gaze. it was all of the people that i've seen before when they went into the base. 

i couldn't say anything because i just... couldn't. it was like a birth defect thing. i could never string everything up in a sentence, and i didn't have a very wide range of vocabulary. 

"come on, sweetie, you can do it." the woman who looked at me at the front gates of the base looked at me, and started to close. i didn't show any signs that i didn't  want to her to come, so she came closer.

"hey, i'm daisy." she said at close range, that i could only hear. no one else could. but somehow my usually muted vocal cords finally found the courage to speak up and talk to people, one thing that i haven't done a lot since i was 1. 

"i... i... i'm athena." i said softly. 

"hello, athena." she said, gently, as if i was some sort of fragile person that needed immense care. 

"i... i know you."  i said slightly louder. this time, i realised that it wasn't me. it never was me. it was the thing controlling me that was speaking. all the time. i was this creature which lost the ability to speak for a very long time. 

"what?"

"i know you. the destroyer of worlds, you make a huge impact on the world, in the year 2091." i let my vocal cords be manipulated by the creature sitting inside me, controlling my voice. 

"who... who are you?"

"a...athe...athena." i said. this was me again. the stuttering person that i hadn't been able to control for years. 

"i'm sorry for startling you." she got that i wasn't myself and that i was being controlled at the time. 

"do you have a last name?"

"..."

"do you have a last name?" she whispered into my ear again. 

"j...johnson."

she recoiled as if something stung her. 

"she's good. just let her do whatever they want. no, let her come along. i trust her."

"daisy."

"i do trust her." she said and turned out of the room. i had nothing else but to follow. 

i walked with them to the back alley and saw that the battalion that had went out return. 

"that's steve rogers. the first super soldier." i was about to say i know, and even if i could, i decided not to reveal what i knew. 

"rogers. got sargeant barnes back along with the others?" a woman, the one in charge of the base said, appearing out of an hidden passage. 

"yes ma'am." steve said. 

"you may rest." the woman said, and steve led everyone in. 

"that will be the start of your legacy. what is the start of yours?" the asian woman said. 

"let me ask that. she's not good with speech." she said, and led me off to a secure corner of the whole compound. 

she walked me into a room where i could see that the walls were fortified. 

'no cameras now, please, kiddo, please tell me what you know." she said, and i mimed a piece of paper and a pen. 

"you want some paper and a pen? sure. here." it was as if she was anticipating this move, and  she let me settle down, and i started to draw. she stared at me while i was doing that, and for the first time i thought that i was welcome here. 

*******************************************************************