Chapter 17 - Everything I Wanted

Continued

I ran out of Layla's house without another word being said. I probably shouldn't be driving in the state I'm in but I don't care I just had to get home to her as fast as possible. It felt as though I blacked out, I can't imagine walking in and her not being there. Well, she would be there but not really there, you know?

I blew through as many lights as I could and finally pulled into the driveway. I didn't even turn off my car or close my door when I got out. I ran inside throwing the door open. I turned the corner and saw her sitting on the couch. I walked over and wrapped her in my arms as tight as I could.

"What's wrong?" She asked urgently, hugging me back.

I sighed, "Nothing, just let me hold you for a minute please."

So she did, we sat there in silence as I calmed myself down, "I'm not ready to talk about it yet."

I pulled away bringing my hand to her cheek, "That's fine, you don't need to. Don't be mad but...Layla told me pretty much everything. I hope you know that the people from your past...they don't deserve you."

"Maybe, but I deserve what I got," she said, looking down at her hands.

I grabbed her chin bringing her face back up to mine, "Don't say that, you did nothing to deserve the way you were treated. God, if I could change the way that you see yourself you wouldn't wonder why you're here. I know you struggle with asking for help, but you can learn to." Her eyes brightened up when I finished, "What?" I giggled.

"It's hard for me to put into words how I feel most times, that's why I can't talk about it. But you just gave me an idea," she leaned forward placing a peck on my lips as she scurried into our room.

About thirty minutes had passed so I went in to check on her. She told me not to bother her until she called me in. I saw her notebook in her hands though, so I knew what she was doing. An hour had passed and she finally called me into the room. I saw her sitting at her keyboard in the corner and I shot her a smile.

"I swear writing songs takes me forever unless it's about you or for you," she giggled.

"Yeah I know, I'm your muse," I joked.

She rolled her eyes, "Just shut up and listen."

She turned her back to me and took a deep breath before she started playing.

I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
Not what you'd think
And if I'm being honest
It might've been a nightmare
To anyone who might care

Thought I could fly
So I stepped off the Golden
Nobody cried
Nobody even noticed
I saw them standing right there
Kinda thought they might care

I heard her voice in a way I'd never heard it before. Her low whisper tone broke my heart with each word.

I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
But when I wake up, I see
You with me

And you say
"As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you"
Don't wanna lie here, but you can learn to
If I could change the way that you see yourself
You wouldn't wonder why you're here
They don't deserve you

I smiled when I realized my words, those words, were what inspired her to do this.

I tried to scream
But my head was underwater
They called me weak
Like I'm not just somebody's daughter
Could've been a nightmare
But it felt like they were right there

And it feels like yesterday was a year ago
But I don't wanna let anybody know
'Cause everybody wants something from me now
And I don't wanna let 'em down

I had a dream
I got everything I wanted
But when I wake up, I see
You with me

Her voice cracked with the last three words, and she didn't have to turn around for me to know she was crying. I walked over wrapping her in a hug from behind. She let her head fall back onto my shoulder as she continued to cry.

She calmed herself down enough to speak, "Thank you."

"For what?" I turned my head slightly to look at her.

"For being my muse," she giggled, "For helping me find a way to open up to you. For making me feel like I can open up to you."

I pulled away and sat next to her, "Don't give me credit for that, that was all you. You allowed yourself to open up. You found a way to open up that works for you, not for me or anyone else. You did that."

She nodded, "Still, thank you, for just being there to listen. For being my person."

"I'm just lucky that you chose me to be that person for you," I smiled. I felt my pants get wet and jumped off of the bench.

"What?" Allani asked.

"Do you not feel that?"

"Feel what?" She asked urgently. I looked at the bench and saw it was drenched; she looked down following me then looked back up. "What is that?" She asked as she stood up.

I laughed at her, "Babe, I think your water just broke."

She patted her hands on her pants feeling them, "Holy shit."

Something About The Way || Greta Van Fleetजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें