Chapter 22 - Room 315

One Year Later

I was rushing to get ready for my first meeting back. Jake and I went to Greece for our honeymoon and it was everything I wanted and more. We spent a week there and as much as we loved it we couldn't wait to get back home to Aria. Before we left she had just started preschool; she loved every second of it.

"Mama!" She yelled from the living room.

"What? I'm in a rush!" I yelled back.

I heard her little feet walk into the room, "I need help with my painting."

"Ask daddy," I said.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "No, he's not good at it like you are."

"I can hear you," Jake said offended.

I giggled, "Okay, I'll help you when I get home I promise."

I kissed her cheek before kissing Jake and heading out the door. The meeting went faster than I thought it would so I called Jake to let him know I was coming back.

"Mom!" Aria yelled from the other side.

"Aria, I called your dad so I could talk to him, not you."

"But I need your help still," she wined.

I giggled, "I know I'm on my way home I can help you soon. Now give the phone to dad."

"Sorry, she took my phone before I could answer," Jake laughed.

"It's fine, but the meeting ended early so I'll be home soon-"

Jake's POV

"So I'll be home soon," were the last words I heard before what sounded like glass shattering.

"Allani?" I got no response, "Allani!" Still nothing.

I started to freak out and the first person I thought to call was Layla. She didn't answer the first time so I called her over, and over, and over again getting no answer. I called Alex next and luckily he picked up. I told him what happened and he said to not worry and that Layla would probably call me back when she wasn't busy. Her being busy meant nothing to me right now. I continued to blow up her phone for another hour. At some point, I had called Sam to come over to watch Aria while I figured shit out. As soon as he showed up I got a call from a random number.

"Hello?"

"Is this Jake Kiszka?" I heard a random guy say.

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is Dr. Rodriguez, I work here at Clear Water Hospital. Your wife was in an accident. She had been driving through an intersection when-"

I immediately hung up. I felt no emotions, almost completely numb from worry. I wasted no time running out the door.

I parked and walked into the hospital as fast as I could. I went to the front desk asking where I could find her. They told me where I needed to be and I went up to the third floor as fast as I possibly could. When I got up there I looked around for the first doctor or nurse I could find.

I finally spotted someone and ran up to them, "Excuse me, do you know where I can find Allani Kiszka?"

"Are you family?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm her husband."

She looked down at her clipboard before giving me a sympathetic look, "They're trying to stabilize her right now."

"Stabilize? I- it was that bad?" I felt tears pooling in my eyes.

"It was, I'm so sorry. When I have an update I'll let you know."