[18] Day

Medicine, hospitals, doctors offices even always had this thick scent. A scent that could bring you back to that place with one whiff but also one that was harsh on the nose. You hated that smell. It was clean but gross. That smell was the only one of your senses that seemed to be going off. Vision to hasty, mind to faded for anything to come through. Yet, you could smell.
You just wished the smell was more inviting...

".....she.. u...oon.. don... worr..."

All your attention zeroed in on the noise. Even if your ears ached the noise it was a sign you could hear. Yet, you couldn't. The noises to far away, one your ears wrapped tightly in something thick that you could only assume to be cloth, or bandages. You couldn't recall much of the night before... The only memory you had left was a warm embrace given from a golden hue of light.

You forgot.

It only struck you then and there that you couldn't remember anything. Did someone save you? It was Childe, right? Or maybe that was all in your head...? Your brains last resort in attempts to salvage your sanity. Why was your ear damaged? Why did everything hurt... Did you jump out a window? You couldn't remember. How long have you been sleeping?

"I... hi..k... e... up?"

You blinked some more as color flooded your vision. Each one of your sense coming back so quickly it was giving you whiplash, the adrenaline of not knowing where you were pushing your senses to work faster. You pressed your hands amongst the plush bed, trying to force yourself up. You needed to leave.

Your mind had been so fixated on fight or flight for the past few weeks that you couldn't wait for anything. Your muscles aching, everything's in your body was screaming you to stop, screaming to just lie down for a second or two longer, to just wait. You wanted to but-

"Are you awake?"

That voice. That voice made your tremble, you brought your gaze up once more to see... ocean eyes. You blinked a couple of times. Last night wasn't a horrible dream, it wad all real. Those ocean eyes did save you, cradling you as if you were the most delicate flower to safety. Protecting you from the storm, dirt, the pain. You opened your mouth to speak to him but all that came out was a sad wail. You missed him. You missed that face so unbelievably badly.

Before you could even control yourself, you were sobbing. His face immediately went to one of worry as you began to sob out, his feet registering faster than mind. Like an instinct, he was immediately by your side, holding you in his arms feeling you sob into him. He squeezed into your frame, avoiding holding to tightly in fear of hurting your wounds.

Holding you like this reminded him of when you both were younger. Back when if someone or something would hurt you, he'd be there to kiss it better. He'd be there to protect your delicate heart, body, mind from all the little things that could chip away at you, or the big things. He'd make things that way again... He'd make it up to you, he'd make it better. He'd try harder, he'd-

"I'm so sorry... I should've listened... I should've stayed, I should've-"

He stiffened at those words. A part of knowing that you probably blame a chunk of yourself for what happened when in reality, "I've done my share of bad things too. [Name]. You are grown up now, in your own little ways. I didn't respect that. I still don't but I should've. I can't keep you locked away forever, guide your life in the directions I like, tell you what to do or what not to do... But I can warn you and I'd like you to at least listen."

He pulled away, brushing the stray hairs you had away from your face,
"When I told you to hold off on the dating it's because all the damn red flags. It's not because I didn't want to see you happy. It's because someone literally tried to kidnap you and.. and then a person literally did"

"I know I should've listened... even if you were overbearing at one point. I know it's because you just wanted me to be okay... But next time, just execute it differently. The way you do things, the way you say things... Sometimes it just drives me crazy. But I understand. I know what your trying to tell me" You murmured, leaning into the palms of his hands. That warmth holding you so well, so securely. You could only smile against it while he held you.

"Ah- Am I interrupting something?

A gentle knock on the door distributed you both. The greeting of long green hair, deep yellow eyes, pursed lips only left you with one thought... Who the fuck is that? You squinted while Childe retracted his hand, not wanting to smother you in the presence of another person. It seemed the expression on your face was enough to tell them what you were thinking. The RBF always speaks the truth.

"I see you are awake... I must say, it has been a long while since I've received a patient with injuries like your own." He smiled, his lips curving into something smug almost. Who? Was this grasshopper... your doctor? He walked up to you glancing you up and down as he slid a clipboard upon your bedside table.

"Ah.. But I must say this is an underground clinic. Not many people are bound to come by due to... private affairs and what not. So, whatever happened to you is nothing I'll ask about. For now, I left a status report on your bedside-" Childe wrinkled his nose at the sight of Baizhu and how he was looking at you. Close to the same way a predator looks at prey. Although he was your doctor, Childe still couldn't help but feel a tad defensive.

"What.. what happened to my ear?"

"I left a status report in your bedside-"

"But what happened-"

"Ah, alright. Since you seemingly can't read, I'll read for you." He huffed, lifting the clipboard back up and skimming along the words with his eyes, occasionally glancing down at you with a look that was a mixture of a glare and someone making fun of you.

"Sorr-"

"While under whatever circumstances... you had an infection. It's not surprising from being so dirty like the little rat you are and with so many wounds. You were bound to have some type of infection. You'll be fine in a few weeks. Just get bed rest and while doing so... hire a nice tutor maybe then they can teach you to read."

"I- I can read! I just wanted to hear it from you"

"Mmm... But talking is tiring~" He dragged out his last words into something close to a whine and a mock.

"But- I- I never even got your name-"

"Shh~ That's enough from you!" He purred out, staring at Childe and tilting his head towards the door. It wasn't ever hard for Childe to pick up signals for him to get his ass up and move. You were on bed rest anyways. Now was not the time to do smothered. Baizhu would provide his service to anyone for a price but now was the time to discuss more then that. Private matters and whatnot. There are still a lot of things you don't know about Childe and still a lot of things you can't learn.

"W.. wait! A- Childe. I want to know. I need to know... Will I be going home after this? To my home."

"Ah..."