Chapter 49 - Jace

Jace

It's the first game of the baseball season and I'm sitting my ass on the bench. Kaden is sitting right beside me though and he is fuming. This was supposed to be his year but Coach has been playing the freshman. I'm sure Kaden will get his chance to pitch today, but he is still moping, huffing, puffing, and cursing my ear off.

We are now in the final inning and I have yet to play. I don't really give a fuck. Baseball doesn't make me happy anymore and I've decided that after this season, I'm done.

The crowd boos as the Palm Harbor team gets a home run. Normally I would join in on the crowds' banter, and with the team, but I just don't have the energy.

"Coach needs to put me the fuck in. I haven't pitched all day, what the hell is he doing?" Kaden picks up his glove from off the bench and throws it to the ground at the exact moment Coach looks in our direction.

Coach scowls, shaking his head.

Kaden rolls his eyes. "Bastard. He hates me. I mean seriously, why is he doing this to me." Kaden looks over his shoulder at the stands filled with people, no doubt that he's looking for his father.

His father probably left by now with disappointment seeping out of him.

"Damn," Kaden says under his breath.

I want to console him, but I don't know what to say. I haven't been myself for a while. Not since the night at the bar weeks ago.

The guys can sense something is off. They tried to ask me about Loni multiple times, but I couldn't bring myself to talk about her. I don't want to think about her anymore, but the girl has taken my mind captive.

I just keep hoping I'll run into her on campus, but it's like we have two completely opposite schedules because I haven't seen her once. And when I'm at the apartment, I'll drive to her lot and her car is never there.

I look back out to the field and Coach, as well as a medic, is out on the field. The team is crowding them. What the hell did I just miss?

As I stand from the bench, the crowds' murmurs echo around me. The team disperses and the medic is holding Will Nelson, the shortstop. Will is hopping on one leg with his arm around the medic's shoulders. He got injured in a skiing accident over winter break, tore his Achilles I think. But he's the best shortstop on the team. He probably begged Coach to let him play and probably didn't tell him the full extent of his injuries. But now, he's out.

"I told Will he shouldn't play," one of the guys says behind me.

I walk back over to the bench but hear a whistle and turn around.

Coach's eyes are locked right on me. His finger extended out, and he curls it, motioning me to come out.

I walk out to the field and don't miss the hoots and hollers from the crowds. This is a feeling I've missed. But it's not enough to bring me back.

"You're in," Coach says, crossing his arms.

"You sure?"

He gives me a single nod. "I think you have done enough to prove yourself worthy of being on this team."

I don't linger by his side and take over Will's position on the field. It's just like riding a bike. I've been out of practice, but I know what I'm doing as soon as the pitch is thrown.

The batter hits the ball. It comes right towards me. I catch it, throw it to the first baseman, and...

"Out!" The umpire shouts.

The crowd erupts in cheers again. We win our first game.

The rest of the team runs out onto the field, jumping, and yelling in celebration. God, this feels so fucking good. We enjoy our victory for a moment before shaking hands with the other team.