My Heart Will Stop In Joy

3rd person Pov

The girl in black with slicked back hair walks in and Mike seemingly freaks out in joy.

"Eleven..." He says in disbelief.

Eleven...the girl Alex had to compete with for my own fathers love, he should feel angry that she's here, but she looks like she's gone through hell and back, and everyone here seems to like her more than him, is what he told himself.

"I never gave up on you, I called you every night for-"

"353 days...I heard" She cries softly.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because I wouldn't let her" Hopper says sternly before arguing with Mike, he takes him off to cool down as Eleven hugs Dustin and Lucas.

"We missed you" They say as they hug.

"Eleven?" Max's voice calls out, she sounds genuinely happy which makes Alex's heart warm. "I'm Max, I've heard a lot about you" 

Eleven walks straight past Max towards Alex who looks at her neutrally.

"You probably don't know me like you know the others but-" He begins but Eleven cuts him off.

"Papa" She simply says, the mention of that name earns her a glance from Alex that no one was expecting, a look that Alex could kill with. 

"We don't talk about him...understand" He says mumbling threateningly so only Eleven can hear, she looks scared for a moment before nodding slowly as she runs to Joyce and she takes him to see Will.

"Who's 'papa'" Max naively asks.

"No one" Alex simply says as he sits down in silence as the others look at him, he's so focused on not talking he doesn't even realise Joyce talking to Eleven about this 'gate'.

Time skip

Alex Pov

"Its gotten bigger, not to mention the place is crawling with those dogs" Hopper sighs.

"Demo dogs-"

"Dustin if this is gonna cause another pointless argument I don't wanna hear it" I sigh which earns a small laugh from a few people.

"Sorry...geez someone's cranky" He mocks.

"Oh I'm sorry, your pet nearly tore my head off so I'm sorry if I seem a little out of it" I mock back, causing Hopper to almost crack with laughter.

"I can close it" Eleven says, earning a glance from Hopper.

"Your not hearing me-" Hopper says but is cut off.

"I can do it" Eleven reiterates.

"Even if she can do it there's another problem, if its a hive mind-" Mike starts.

"Then everything it controls dies when it does...meaning Will also dies" I say realising. Joyce goes into Wills room and comes to the realisation we need to make Will uninhabitable for the mind flayer, so Joyce, Nancy and Jonathan all head for Hoppers cabin.

"C'mon Alex, lets go" Hopper says motioning for me to join him.

"No can do, gotta protect these guys" I say motioning to the others.

"We don't need protection, not from you" Lucas bitterly complains.

"Yeah I mean, I got this..." Steve says holding his bat.

"I saved your asses at the junkyard, not to be rude but I think its better safe than sorry, plus those guys can handle themselves" I say as Hopper and Eleven leave for the lab.