10. Rose Sorbet

My head stayed down, and I shuffled my feet before taking a seat at the round table. The bottom of my lip was swollen as my teeth bit into them relentlessly. Richard and my mother loomed over Brandon. We were sitting inside the bakery, taking the small corner closest to the kitchen. The cafe was still closed, so we were the only ones inside. I sighed, conflicted over my decision. After Brandon's little stunt down the beach today, I had called Richard to pick us up. He had looked rather unable to walk...

"God, your foot is totally swollen, I can't bicycle you back!" I protested, brushing off the sand from my dress, and inspecting his foot.

Brandon followed my lead and brushed off the sand from his wet clothes."It's fine. It'll go down by tonight, really," he insisted, trying to get up into a standing position. He winced as he put a little pressure on his right foot, and I sighed. I tried to help him but he swatted my hand away.

"Are you really going to be this difficult?" I asked, giving up, "I'm going to call Richard."

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I began to dial, but Brandon's hand immediately caught mine. His eyes bored into mine."No need to call him, I'll be fine." There was an inexplicable intensity in his voice as he tried to reassure me. Still, I snuck a glance at his foot, noticing that it was redder than before.

"Sorry, he's the only one with a car." I pursed my lips, dialing the number, and turning away. I didn't miss that Brandon's eyes were shooting daggers at me.

Or the fact that he was still doing that.

Brandon sat in a corner, his arms crossed below his chest and a sour expression pasted on his face. He looked like a grumpy cat. Richard cleared his throat and leaned in closer to him. "Do you want to explain what happened?" he asked in a stern voice, reminding of the scary teachers I had to deal with in middle school.

"Nothing, it's just that I saved someone from dying, but Tyler thinks my injury worsened," Brandon spat the words, looking away from us and out of the window. He was heaving, his chest going up and down in a rhythmic fast cycle as if he was extremely upset or angry. Maybe he was.

Biting my lower lip, and not relenting, I said, "Take a look at his foot." Brandon's behavior confused me, but I wouldn't let it hinder his medical needs.

Richard bent down at my insistence and checked his foot in silence. Brandon kept a straight face throughout, though I don't know how he managed to do that. It had to be hurting for sure. "You swam again, huh?" he asked, and Brandon gave a curt nod.

"Does this hurt?" Richard pressed his foot, and I saw Brandon hide his wince before shaking his head. I wanted to raise my hands in disbelief but refrained from doing so. My mother nudged me with her elbow and motioned me to follow her back into the kitchen. I scowled but did as she asked, leaving Brandon and Richard alone in the cafe.

"What happened?" I asked her as soon as we were in the vicinity of the kitchen.

"I-I have something to tell you," she said. Her tone made me tense.

No jumping to conclusions, I reminded myself and calmed my beating heart. Then a thought struck me. "If it's about you and Richard having a brunch date today, I already know about it," I replied cooly. My mother opened her mouth but then closed it, staring at me in silent surprise. I hid my grin. This was it then. 

Her posture relaxed when she realised I wasn't glaring at her or anything. "You knew, huh?" My mother gave out a short laugh. "I'm sorry, Ty. I know you loved your father and I loved him too. Still love him. B-But he's not with us anymore."