31. Rainbow Sprinklers

Splash!

The scene felt like déjà vu. Water splashed everywhere, its sound a repeated circle of torture. Bella opened the French door, the scorching sun hitting us as soon as we entered the vast balcony. With hurried steps we went closer to the commotion. Along the line of the pool, the floor appeared wet and slippery, and we skidded to a halt a few feet away from it. Shouts of struggle, the stricken face of Bella, and the flapping arms in the pool was all I heard and saw. I stood frozen, unable to breathe or do anything. It was like the clock froze with me, the ticking sound slowing down the moment as each second passed.

What is happening? I wondered in the small place of my head. Bella cried beside me, her hands in her hair, all scrunched up and ugly. I saw it, but I didn't see it.

Everything was a blur, just a blur of movements and sounds. Someone was calling me, I thought. Brandon is calling me. He is calling me!

"Tyler! GET HERE!" he bellowed, and I snapped to attention. The tension in his voice sent blood pumping through my body at a double rate. I kneeled down to where he was, frantically looking around and blinking hard to focus on the body on the ground. Brandon opened her mouth, listening for her breathing. The verdict must not have been good because his shoulders tensed under his wet shirt and he spat a series of colourful words.

Without wasting a second he pumped Giulia's chest, his hands working fast as he continued counting the number of repetitions.

"What are you doing?!" Bella asked bewildered, and I could see cold fear in her eyes at the situation. Giulia laid still, no movements or a hint she was responding. I looked towards Bella who was crying, rubbing Giulia's feet, speaking incoherently in French.

Help, I have to call for help. The thought ran through my head, and I stood up.

"Tyler! Do the CPR." Brandon demanded, pinching close Giulia's nose and opening her mouth to blow in it.

"M-me?" I hesitated for a minute second.

"Okay!" I shouted, my voice coming out of my mouth on its own. CPR lessons ran through my mind, and I found the exact spot, two fists above her ribs and a little to the left. With a nervous energy, I intertwined my fingers and pumped her chest. Counting thirty fast and steady reps, I stopped so Brandon could blow into her mouth.

The seriousness of the situation hit me in the head, and it swam in fear. What if she d—

No, no, no! This cannot happen. I kneeled straighter and kept pumping. One, two, three, four... I have to do this!

My arms groaned with pain, but I kept at it, pumping her chest in a frenzied manner. Panic filled with me when she didn't respond even in the second round. Tears blurred my vision, and Brandon pushed me away, taking over.

One, two, three...

Giulia coughed, water spluttering out of her mouth with vomit. I turned her face, and she coughed it out on the ground, making sure none went into her mouth again. Relief flushed my body, and I fell back on my butt, feeling like all the burdens lifted off of my shoulders.

"Hey! Are you awake?" I patted her face, forcing her to open her eyes. Her eyes rolled, and she didn't look like she could understand what I was saying.

"Are you okay?" Locks of wet hair matted on her face, and I raised my hand to put them away. But before I could touch her, she slapped my hand away.

What?!

With a spark of anger and a lot of confusion I snapped my head to Brandon.

Someone had nearly drowned; one would have expected more reaction or panic. But both Brandon and Bella just sat there with their heads down.