2

⟦Percy and I fought crazy metal cows⟧

3427 words

We tore through the night along dark country roads

We tore through the night along dark country roads. Wind slammed against the Camaro. Rain lashed the windshield. I didn't know how sally could see anything, but she kept her foot on the gas.

I reached out behind me to hold Percy's hand. he clenched mine like I was going to fly out.

Every time there was a flash of lightning, I looked at Grover sitting next to Percy in the backseat, and I wondered if I'd gone insane, or if he was wearing some kind of shag-carpet trousers. But, no, the smell was one I remembered from kindergarten field trips to the petting zoo – lanolin, like from wool. The smell of a wet barnyard animal.

Then Percy, 'So, you and my mum... know each other?'

I nodded, " yeah, you seem to know each other."

Grover's eyes flitted to the rearview mirror, though there were no cars behind us. 'Not exactly,' he said. 'I mean, we've never met in person. But she knew I was watching you.'

'Watching me?'

I reclined my body to face the two kids in the back. " Watching him?"

Grover looked at me in a slight fear, like he just realized something and its right Infront of him.

'Keeping tabs on you. Making sure you were okay. But I wasn't faking being your friend,' he added hastily. 'I am your friend.'

'Um... what are you, exactly?' Percy asked so confused he sounds like he wouldn't remember the reply.

'That doesn't matter right now.' Grover mumbled as he twitched in his seat.

'It doesn't matter. From the waist down, my best friend is a donkey –' percy was cut off by something weirder then hilly billys teeth.

Grover let out a sharp, throaty 'Blaa-ha-ha!'

'Goat!' he cried.

'What?'

'I'm a goat from the waist down.'

'You just said it didn't matter.'

'Blaa-ha-ha! There are satyrs who would trample you under hoof for such an insult!'

'Whoa. Wait. Satyrs. You mean like... Mr Brunner's myths?'

'Were those old ladies at the fruit stand a myth, Percy? Was Mrs Dodds a myth?'

'So you admit there was a Mrs Dodds!'

'Of course.'

'Then why –'

'The less you knew, the fewer monsters you'd attract,' Grover said, like that should be perfectly obvious. 'We put Mist over the humans' eyes. We hoped you'd think the Kindly One was a hallucination. But it was no good. You started to realize who you are.'