14

⟦ foreshadowing?⟧

3,496 words

It was Annabeth's idea.

She loaded us into the back of a Vegas taxi as if we actually had money, and told the driver, 'Los Angeles, please.'

The cabbie chewed his cigar and sized us up. "That's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay upfront."

'You accept casino debit cards?' Annabeth asked.

He shrugged. 'Some of' em. Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through, first.'

Annabeth handed him her green LotusCash card.

He looked at it sceptically.

'Swipe it,' Annabeth invited.

He did.

His meter machine started rattling. The lights flashed. Finally, an infinity symbol came up next to the dollar sign.

The cigar fell out of the driver's mouth. He looked back at us, his eyes wide. 'Where to in Los Angeles... uh, Your Highness?'

'The Santa Monica pier.' Annabeth sat up a little straighter. I could tell she liked the 'Your Highness' thing. 'Get us there fast, and you can keep the change."

"Annabeth kust pulled a girl boss."I said in awe.

I fist bumped Annabeth.

The cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert.

On the road, we had plenty of time to talk. Percy and I told them about our latest dream, but the details got sketchier the more we tried to remember them. I interjected a few times, remembering details he didn't. The Lotus Casino seemed to have short-circuited our memory. I couldn't recall what the invisible servant's voice had sounded like, though I was sure it was somebody I knew. The servant had called the monster in the pit something other than 'my lord'... some special name or title...

'The Silent One?' Annabeth suggested. 'The Rich One? Both of those are nicknames for Hades.'

'Maybe...' Percy said, though neither sounded quite right.

" It's not him and I will die on that."

" Febe, no!"

" I'm not taking it back."

'That throne room sounds like Hades's,' Grover said, Breaking Annabeth's and I staring contest. 'That's the way it's usually described.'

I shook my head. 'Something's wrong. The throne room wasn't the main part of the dream. And that voice from the pit... I don't know. It just didn't feel like a god's voice.it was old and....it didnt feel like what talking to the lord if the dead would sound like."