18: The Mole

"Good morning, agent Ningguang," Ganyu greeted the lady once she joined the others at the breakfast table, followed by others. "Did you sleep well last night?"

Ningguang sighed inside. As a matter of fact, I did not. "I would say my sleep was unusual." She picked up her butter knife and began spreading butter on her toast that was served in front of her. Ganyu didn't question the lady any longer as she slowly nodded her head and munched on her toast. As she was chewing, she took a quick glance around the table, and noticed that Xu Liushi was missing, along with Juza.

"Where's Juza and Xu Liushi?" the lady asked.

"Don't know," Agent Drake said before taking a bite out of his toast.

That's odd... Juza is usually here. "Well you know, Xu Liushi and Juza are like buddies," Furong commented. "They're always together."

Agent Drake shrugged. "Yeah, I wouldn't worry much. He's just probably giving Xu Liushi a visit."

The lady tilted her head. Something wasn't right. "Shouldn't Xu Liushi be healed by now?"

"No?" Agent Drake looked at her weirdly. "He was just punished yesterday. He wouldn't have healed so quickly... It must've been a miracle for you, agent Ningguang, to have healed so quickly."

Ningguang furrowed her brows. "Was he not given a remedy to heal faster?"

"If that was the case, he would be here with us, just like how you are with us right now, agent Ningguang." Agent Drake took another bite of his toast.

This doesn't make sense. Why would Beidou give me a remedy but not Xu Liushi? The lady kept her thoughts to herself and continued on with her breakfast.

"Hey, uh..." Furong began. "... Do you know if Keqing will join us soon?" She looked at the lady.

Ningguang didn't bother looking up and finished spreading the last of the butter on the knife onto her bread. She swallowed before answering, "she will not be joining any of us for the rest of today and perhaps tomorrow." Her tone was stern. She didn't want to think about it.

Furong blinked. "A-Ah..." She went back to her food in front of her and remained looking down as she forgot.

Upon seeing how Furong acted, Ganyu only worried. "She's all better, isn't she..." Ningguang felt Ganyu's eyes upon her. The lady only nodded as she placed her butter knife down. "... I see." Ganyu almost whispered it, but it wasn't quiet enough to be heard unclearly. She knew what that meant.

The sound of the door opening startled everyone. "Excuse me," Juza said while he was panting. "Good morning, everyone." Once all the agents greeted him back, he silently walked to his chair and began to eat slowly.

"Were you visiting Xu Liushi?" Agent Drake asked. This question made Juza bulge his eyes as he looked up to him. Juza didn't seem relaxed at all.

There was a quick short pause before he answered. "Ah, yes." Something about his response felt as if he was more at ease after realizing the question he was asked. Although, it seemed like something was still bugging him.

"How is Xu Liushi?" Suling asked.

"He'll be alright..." Juza went back to eating his food and so did everyone. The lady continued to examine Juza's expression. She caught him clenching his jaw. Surely, something is wrong. Juza was usually seen as the calm and relaxed agent; reasonable too.

The breakfast table went silent. The sounds of the cutlery and munching were only heard. No one else dared to speak as there was nothing to be spoken of and neither of them looked up among each other. Everything about the morning felt off to Ningguang.