30: The Harbinger

The two continue on with their journey, being attentive of their surroundings. Not once have they stopped to rest and eat the fish the captain has caught since they encountered agent Ganyu. 

Stress was rising in Ningguang. She couldn't help but think and be anxious about encountering trouble again and as well as what was happening back home.

“Beidou,” Ningguang started.

“Hm?”

“I've actually been having these dreams about you for the past couple of days,” she said, although she was still focused on what was on her mind and ignored the captain's flustered reaction. 

“Oh–?”

“Yeah. But it would be about what was going on back home. In one of them, Furong tried to convince you to not go to the Jade Chamber as you would get caught again, but you went anyway,” the lady said and felt her chin. “All the dreams I had of you were such a blur.”

“Oh, man, I thought your dream would be something else,” Beidou whined. 

Ningguang then snapped out of her world and shoved the captain. “No! Inappropriate!”

The captain was now laughing in satisfaction after seeing how red her lady's face was. After a few more laughs, she calmed down and said, “jokes aside now, your dream was actually real.”

Ningguang looked at Beidou in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Those events did happen back home. Your dreams were like visions or something like that.” The captain gave out a long sigh, recalling the past stressful days. “When you were gone, not only Liyue Harbor went crazy, but the entire Liyue nation as well. There was nobody the harbor could look up to and mora was indeed cutting short.”

Just hearing this made Ningguang's stress level worsen and felt her temple. The captain only continued, “soon enough, the Qixing decided that Keqing should be acting Tianquan until you came back. But even her being placed as a temporary leader wasn't enough to control citizens. They started crowding up in front of the Qixing Headquarters and shouted that more mora needs to be made, or that the Millelith is useless and that you need to be back asap.”

At this point, Ningguang closed her eyes and felt her forehead. She let out a huge sigh. “This is all my fault. If only I didn't follow that darn-looking crystalfly. Now the entire nation is chaotic because I'm gone. My people need me Beidou!” She cried as she held onto the captain's shoulders. 

“My lady, Keqing is trying her best to maintain order, along with the help of the Qixing. You can trust her. We will get home as soon as we can and everything will be back to normal.” Beidou dropped the fish and hammer in her hands and gave her lady a warm hug. “Right now, we need to focus on surviving and returning to the Jade Chamber alive. Don't think of anything else right now, alright?”

Ningguang nodded her head and squeezed the captain tightly. “Thank you, Beidou,” she said, although it was muffled. 

Beidou tapped on her back. “No need to thank me, Ning. I'll be right here anytime you need some reassurance.”

Soon enough the lady gathered her senses and backed up. “Okay, we need to get going. If we keep standing here, death only awaits us.”

“Alright,” the captain said and picked her fish and hammer back up from the ground, and the two continued walking.

•••

After a while, the two stopped at a secluded area to rest and cook the fish Beidou had been holding in her hand for so long. They ate and rested a bit more, however, they couldn't sit there forever and so eventually they continued with their journey.