CHAPTER XI

chapter eleven: valentines day part i

    LOVE WAS IN the air. At least it was supposed to be. All around Hogwarts there were banners, streamers, and other heart shaped decorations filling up the walls of the corridors and great hall.  Couples were all over campus; holding hands, cuddling in the common room, sharing a hot chocolate in the dining hall, or snogging in the dark corners of the corridors. Daisy, having no romantic partner found peace sitting in the library and finishing up her potions essay that was due in two hours. 

She hadn't meant to procrastinate till last minute to finish up her homework, but she had spent the night deeply engrossed by the muggle books her mom had sent her. It was as if her eyes couldn't keep off the page as she read her last novel Foolish Hearts (totally not promoting one of my favorite book whaatttt but it's by emma mills if you wanna read) Before she knew it night had turned into morning and the day would start without her regardless if she had done her homework. 

Writing away she hadn't even noticed the footsteps of a certain Potter boy approach her. 

"Hi."

Looking up from the parchment, she saw the eldest Potter sibling standing in front of her almost awkwardly, which had to be impossible because when was THE James Sirius Potter awkward. Though that seemed to be a common occurrence now ever since winter break. She didn't know what exactly had happened, but ever since winter break James had been acting not very James like. Gone with the confident boy and in with the awkward boy it seemed. 

Though even with this new sense of awkwardness coming from James it didn't seem to stop him from constantly being around Daisy. He would often approach her with his hand scratching his neck, a deep shade of red coloring his cheeks, and a sheepish smile plastered on his face. Daisy didn't know what to think of his new James. Logically speaking she expected herself to like it and find tolerance in the boy now that he would shut up, but she honestly just found it unsettling. 

"Hi?" she replied, locking eyes with the (weirdly) shy boy. 

James suddenly looked down after the one second of eye contact and Daisy noticed the tips of ears turning a bit red. "Well uh you know today- uh- valentines day so uh- presents," he stammered, quickly pushing his hands out to show her the gifts. 

It was only then Daisy realized the three boxes neatly stacked in his hands. Each box wrapped in a light shade of blue wrapping paper that had little daisies on it and each was tied by white ribbon. Wow, Daisy thought, such neat wrapping for a messy boy. 

Lifting her eyes back to James, she gave a small smile that half came off as a grimace. "Uh thanks? but you really didn't have to James. Since you know we aren't together." She put emphasis on the last part.

James nodded aggressively. "Yeah yeah I know but um you know nice things for a nice girl, right?" He let out an uncomfortable laugh before continuing, "So uh yeah enjoy the gifts," he rushed out before gently placing the gifts down on the table and running out as if he was being chased.

Daisy blinked silently for a few seconds trying to process the events that had just happened in the last few minutes before looking down at the gifts. "Okay.." she whispered silently, picking up the first gift; the largest one. 

The brunette observed the box, wondering if James had paid someone to wrap it so neatly because there was no way in Salazar that JAMES who barely knows how to tie his tie wrapped it this neatly. Letting out a small sigh, she smoothly unwrapped the gift, her eyebrows raising when she got a look inside. 

"Merlin," she breathed out, staring at the dress inside. This must have cost more than all her clothes inside. Suddenly she scowled. "Stupid Potter," she muttered. Spending this much money away on a piece of cloth that he wasn't even for him. Though even if that was true she couldn't help admire it, running her fingers down the expensive material. 

Flicking her eyes to the next gift, she quickly unwrapped it, curious to see what could be inside. Though before she could get a good look two cold hands covered her eyes, causing a bubble of annoyance at the interruption. 

"Guess who," the voice of Rose Weasley ringing through her ears, which instantly washed away her annoyance, and instead a smile already forming at her friend's voice. 

"Scorpius." 

At the sound of name, Rose instantly scoffed, taking her hands away and taking a seat. "That is the worst insult I've ever gotten and I am cousins with Albus." 

Daisy smirked silently, facing the redhead, but also meeting eyes with another redhead. "Lily!" Daisy exclaimed, a bright smile forming on her face by the sight of the younger girl. 

Lily waved back shyly, a small smile of her own forming too, making Rose release another scoff. 

"I don't see you being this happy to see me." Rose glared at the brunette who made no effort to reply and instead started chatting away with the youngest Potter sibling. "Fine be that way," Rose grumbled, leaving the table, going to find her Lucy instead. 

Lily who had now taken Rose's seat felt was beaming talking with Daisy. They were never that close, but Lily had always admired Daisy for many reasons. One, putting her brother in place. But also two, making her brothers happy. Because even if her older brother could be the annoying people in the world Lily Luna Potter loved them more than anything. 

Glancing around, the youngest Potter sibling furrowed her eyebrows at the sight of the three gifts, two unwrapped, on the table. "What's this?" she asked, her green eyes filled with curiosity as she stared down at the boxes. 

"Oh!" Daisy exclaimed as if she was realized it was there. "Your brother gave them to me," she explained, eyes drifting to see the second gift. Her eyes widened as she picked it up. It was the sequel to the book she had been reading last week, Six of Crows, and had been whining about to Albus how she needed the sequel. 

A wave of gratitude washed over her as she examined the book. It may not have been nearly expensive as the first gift, but it meant just as much. 

The sound of a giggle broke Daisy from her train as thought as she turned to see Lily giggling silently.  Daisy raised an eyebrow. "What?" 

Though the small redhead only continued to giggle and shot a wink at her before running off. Okay..

"I guess all the potter children are just weird," she mumbled. Giving the book one last smile, she picked up the last gift, and didn't even bother to nicely unwrap this time, too curious to see what was inside. Her eyes furrowed a little when she saw it. 

It was a camera. 

The camera was pretty, no doubt. But she was a bit confused on why he did get her this. She never showed interest in photography before. Picking up the camera, a small note fell from the action, making Daisy's attention snap to the small piece of paper. Grasping the note, she unfolded it, curious what it said. 

      Dear Daisy, 

                 You can't freeze time to save a memory. But you can take a picture to create a memory. Hopefully one day I will be in these memories. Happy Valentines Day Daisy Flower. 

                                                                                                                     -James

The brunettes lip's curled up into a smile without realizing it as she read the note before looking back at the camera that suddenly seemed to carry more value than before.