act six ➻ part 3.5

note: all interim chapters are optional to read and you do not have to read them if you don't want to. it is advised that you read the interim chapters after completing all the chapters in the act rather than reading them based off number order. they are based around the relationships between the crew and interactions they share. They are indicated with [x.5], x being the number of the part that came before it.

...

It's colder than usual tonight.

Normally, that's something Jongho wouldn't be focused on at all because he would already be asleep at this hour and blissfully unaware of the temperature in the room.

Tonight, that's not the case.

A series of quiet knocks stirs him from his sleep, and that is the initial realization of how damn cold it is in his room. It doesn't keep him from pulling himself out of bed and shuffling over to the door, snatching up one of the loose blankets that's fallen to the floor at some point in the night. He wraps it around his shoulders and tucks the fabric close to his body. There's no telling who could be at his door at this hour — well, to be fair, Jongho has a decent enough idea about the list of people it could be, but he doesn't know for sure until the metal door slides open to reveal the dimly lit corridor.

"Mingi," he exhales, eyes moving up to find the taller man's eyes. Even in the dimness around them, there's a glint in his red eyes. It's not one Jongho fears, but it is one he tracks and stays mindful of as he steps to the side and lets the fellow Berserker into the room. "Is everything okay?"

Mingi purses his lips, and as the door slides shut, Jongho leans over to his nightstand to snap the lamp on and bathe them both in warm yellow light. It makes it easier to see, in the very least.

"I can't sleep. I'm sorry to bother you, I can go back to my ro—"

"No, no, it's fine."

Still, Mingi shifts his weight from foot to foot and turns back to the door. Jongho nearly comments on how it's still fine even though Mingi has made this new habit of coming to his room every single night since they brought him back from that recovery mission. He holds back, however, after seeing the ever-persistent hesitation in the way Mingi approaches the subject.

"Come to bed, let's get some rest," he says instead, tone barely above a whisper as though he expects Mingi to deny him.

"Okay," Mingi replies through a slight nod. It's followed by a more confident one, and he steps over to the bed rather than trying to escape out the door again. "Okay."

"Hit the light again, would you?" Jongho slips around the foot of the bed to reach the other side, no qualms with Mingi taking his original spot except for the fact that this half of the mattress is far colder than the one he was previously tucked into. It's not important in the long run, not as he throws his blanket down to drape over the comforter and settles under the sheets again. The yellow light flickers out, and the bed screams in protest as two bodies fight to get comfortable enough to sleep now. That, however, would be far too easy of a solution for a night like this one. Jongho isn't in bed for more than five seconds before something is buzzing violently against his nightstand, which unfortunately happens to be on the other side of Mingi's lanky form.

"It's San," Mingi whispers against the vibration of the wristband. The grating noise dissipates as the other man lifts the band off the table and brings it closer to Jongho's face.

"Ah... he needs me to help him to the bathroom most likely. I'll be back in a few."

Mingi hums but says nothing in affirmation or approval. His red eyes follow Jongho as he moves though, careful and lingering despite the evident exhaustion over his features. The younger of the two pauses at the door frame and glances down at his fellow Berserker.