act seven - part 1.5

────────────

very important pre-chapter note: at the end of mingi's pov there is a break. at this point, the story is not happening in chronological order. everything that occurs after that break happens prior to recovering mc/minho from rathmos. then it switches back to after recovering them from rathmos. i think i made it very clear in the narrative but i wanna cover all my bases too so please note that happy reading ^-^

chapter warnings: talks of addiction & death

────────────

It's as the soft wrap over his knuckles sinks into the flesh of the punching bag before him that the door slides open and brings a visitor into the training room with Mingi. It does nothing to stop the pace of his swings, nor does it deter him from his course of action — that being to beat the shit out of an inanimate object, that is — but it does serve to make his senses hone in on the body that just stepped into the room.

Alone.

Laying his hand flat against the bag, Mingi steadies the weight of it before it swings back to him wildly and turns to face the newcomer head-on.

"Do you truly wish to be here, Doctor?" he asks before he even gets a good look at the person. He doesn't need his eyes to know who it is anyway; the aura of the man is foreign and unnatural to him so there's no one else it could be besides the new doctor.

"I was in search of the captain, but this'll do just fine." His voice lilts a bit, but the sound is grating on Mingi's ears. "We have not spoken yet. How do you feel about my joining the crew?"

"You're not Yunho."

"No, I'm not." His expression seems to twist in a way that implies he wants Mingi to believe he's being tentative and careful about this conversation, but the tone of his voice is so directly opposite that that the Berserker sees straight through the ruse. "Is that an issue to you?"

He wants to pick apart your brain.

"You're not Yunho," Mingi repeats with more force to each word, "so you don't know what questions to ask."

He wants to cause trouble.

"Does that make you feel uncomfortable in my presence?"

Minho, he thinks his name was when Jongho mentioned bringing him onboard and showing him around. He isn't all too interested in learning the man's name or anything personal about him, however, when it's so highly unlikely that he will be around for long.

"I don't feel things the way you do, nor do I process tonal or visual implications the way you do." Mingi is at the very least careful in the way he lets the doctor know that he's not as sneaky as he hopes to be. "That's your first mistake."

"First?" There's a level of amusement to the way Minho speaks, and it grates against Mingi's mood terribly.

Plaything. Fool. Blood.

"Your second was entering this room alone."

Blood, blood, blood.

The doctor licks his lips, eyes flitting to the panel beside the door that will let him out quickly, and Mingi feels the first delicious hit of fear radiate off the man a split second later.

"But I won't hurt you."

You could. You could kill him so easily. Wrap your fingers around his neck and feel the tendons snap under your weight, feel the bones shift under your fingertips. Think about the blood that would spill if you split him open.