act three ➻ part five

Everything feels almost too calm. There is a sense of serenity surrounding the lake tonight, and you can't place it, but you imagine it must have something to do with the man sitting cross-legged across from you. He bears white garments like you, soaked through on the bottoms, and you keep cracking an eye open to gauge his expression. His eyelids are pressed shut, but there's no tension in his brow. Peace. He's at peace. That's not something you have felt all too often while here, so it's strange to see Seonghwa that way. The stillness of his face gives you a chance to drag your gaze over his features; the sharp curve of his jaw, gentle slope of his nose and lips, and the long eyelashes that nearly brush against his cheeks.

"Close your eyes." He catches you off-guard, mostly because his eyes are still shut when he says the words. You press your lips into a small frown, lower lip pouting out, but squeeze your eyes shut anyway. "There's no reason to make a face."

You dare to crack an eye open, finding Seonghwa's gaze on you now.

"I've told you to focus four times now. You keep getting distracted. Do I need to wear a mask? Is my face that distracting?" Seonghwa teases. He lifts his chin a little as he blinks at you. His gaze is innocent, but you know he's well aware of what he's doing.

"What's the point of all this again? Isn't it taking away from our sleep?"

Seonghwa clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth and shakes his head ever so slightly.

"It's the Dreamscape for a reason. Your body is resting even if your mind is awake in here, so technically, you're still sleeping."

You really wish there was some way to kick him in the real world. Maybe if you glare at him hard enough it'll work—just a quick kick.

"Why are you giving me that face?"

"Hm?" You purse your lips and lift your brows, desperately trying to hide your growing smile. Seonghwa just huffs a sigh out in response, followed by another order to focus more.

You're still smiling when you press your palms against the bed of the shallow lake. The pebbles underneath are smooth against your skin, and you almost lose yourself in the sensation when Seonghwa's voice cuts through the air again.

"Imagine the water being pushed away from your hands. Don't think of it as you doing the pushing, let the water do the work."

Seonghwa makes it sound so easy, but the longer you sit there, the more you realize that absolutely nothing is going to happen. You only try for a couple of minutes before giving up and tugging your hands back out of the water.

"Maybe I'm not a Siren after all."

Seonghwa releases a loud laugh, head falling back as he snorts towards the sky.

"Nice try. Don't play coy, and try again. Most Sirens have the ability to do this."

"Emphasis on most."

"You seem to be above average. I mean, you're above average in other... departments, so I'm sure it carries over."

"Above average? Excuse you, I would like to think that I am far above average in other departments!"

"I was talking about sparring, princess. Where is your mind headed?"

"I hate you."

"Sure you do. Now, come on. I just want to see how strong you are mentally because that's what these abilities are based upon. It's all psychic, not physical."