act one ➻ part 0.5

"Bullshit! You're a liar and a cheat!" San cries out, slamming his hand of cards down against the metal table. The others around him cackle at his reaction while the man on the receiving end of San's fuming words lifts his chin higher.

"I said straight flush! Is that not what this is?" Jongho laughs in response. He waves his bundle of cards before San's eyes in attempts to mock him, and San smacks his hand away with a huff.

Hongjoong watches on from a distance, standing at the threshold of the mess hall and watching his crew interact with amusement dancing across his features. Mingi stands at his side and watches on as well, although Hongjoong knows the man doesn't understand the humor behind the scene all too well. It's not often that they have nights like these. Most are spent in the chaos of a new lead or recovery from a tough mission. His crew has earned the break though, and they'll need it for what's to come. Hongjoong knows that. It doesn't mean he'll partake in the festivities himself though. He would rather watch on from a distance, Mingi's cold presence at his side. It's what he's used to.

"Have I mentioned how much I hate this damn game?" San grumbles. He slumps forward and shoulders drop in defeat.

"Only every single fucking time we play." Yunho's elbow digs into San's side, teasing the younger man further.

"Then we should get a different game, for fuck's sake!"

"It's not our fault that you're bad at poker, San." It's Yeosang who cuts in this time. He shakes his head ever so slightly as he pushes his own cards onto the table, struggling a bit thanks to Wooyoung's proximity at his side. "Or that Jongho seems to have a ridiculous aptitude for the game."

"You're one to talk, shithead! As I recall, you lose every single time we play too!" San pushes up from his seat. His elbow nearly knocks Seonghwa in the eye as he moves, and the lieutenant has to dodge to the side before he gets clocked. San points an accusing finger at Yeosang's blank expression; the blonde-haired Elitist just blinks back with little to no interest.

"The difference being I don't through a tantrum when I do."

"A tantrum? Oh, you're in for it."

"Now, now!" Seonghwa presses a hand to San's arm in attempts to placate the man. "This is why we can't have game nights. You two always end up bickering an–"

"Because he's a self-righteous asshole!"

"You're the only person causing issues right now, San. Before you go pointing fingers, maybe you should check the mirror."

Hongjoong shouldn't laugh at the exchange of words, but he can't help but release a small chuckle as he listens on. Mingi's gaze shifts to him; he feels the heat of the Berserker's stare on his head, but he neglects to speak.

"Should I step in, Captain?" Mingi asks when Hongjoong doesn't say anything.

"No, no. Seonghwa has it handled. Besides, they aren't being serious." Hongjoong lifts a hand only to wave it through the air twice and drop it back to his side.

"Understood, sir." Mingi's form goes rigid again. He stands just behind Hongjoong like a statue, and if the captain didn't understand him better he would ask what the hell he's doing. It's Mingi though, and there are many mysteries in his behavior. Hongjoong has merely learned what is okay and what isn't. That's all he needs.

A sigh passes through his lips. He's zoned out and missed parts of the exchange before him, but it seems to still be meaningless bickering rather than anything serious.

"You're dismissed for the night, Mingi."

"C-Captain?"

"I've got some paperwork to take care of. You can head to bed or ask to join a few games." Hongjoong turns on his heel to leave the mess hall, and Mingi mimics his movements. His jaw stutters as he watches his captain move. "That's meant to be an order, Mingi."