act one ➻ part six

"Wait–" you call out, and Seonghwa stops in his tracks. "I... I have a question for you before we go."

"Ask away then, princess." Seonghwa shrugs, pushing loose strands of black hair out of his eyes. You're surprised that he can even see past the fringe, but you opt not to linger on that thought for very long in favor of getting on with the conversation.

"I still want to know when your dear Scourge made the decision about me. It doesn't make sense for a man of his reputation to be so merciful, especially considering what he did to the ship I was aboard days ago. So when did he make the decision and why?" You ask the question again, still not convinced by Seonghwa's previous answer. A half-hearted laugh leaves his lips. He turns away from you and shrouds his expression from view.

"Why is it important though, princess?" He asks in return. The hard soles of his shoes click against the metal floor as he takes a few steps forward, long legs making the strides easy to put distance between the two of you. You don't follow after him quite yet. You are determined to stand your ground in front of every single one of these men, whether they are criminals or not. While it might not be the smartest idea on your part, you have certainly done a lot worse in your lifetime.

When you choose not to respond immediately, the tall lieutenant spins around on his heel to look back at you. Dark eyes squint, a glare passes over you, yet you can't quite decipher the expression resting on his features.

"It doesn't affect anything really, does it? When he made the decision? Why? So... my question for you is why is Hongjoong's decision still weighing on you?"

"No one hands out favors like that. Especially not someone as notorious as the Scourge of the Black Sea. Of course, I would imagine that the infamous Scourge would put up a better fight." You cock your head to the side, glaring daggers into Seonghwa's form. "But he didn't. So I would like to know why, and seeing as you are his right hand, I think you would know as well."

"What do you mean by a fight? As I recall, he nearly killed you on more than one occasion. Just because his motives are not obvious doesn't mean they aren't there. It's all in his mannerisms, his posture, the look in his eyes. I can't count on one hand how many times he thought about killing you in the med bay just now. So elaborate for me: what do you mean by a fight?"

The words cause your stomach to stir a little, discomfort settling into your bones as Seonghwa speaks them, and you shift your weight from one foot to the other. Part of you wants to ask exactly how many times Hongjoong debated killing you on the spot, but you decide that some things are better left unknown, and that is most certainly one of those things.

"I can't wrap my mind around him. He isn't what I expected him to be, and that is what is most unsettling. Years of legend and infamy behind him – surely you understand my surprise when I find those legends to be incorrect?"

"Almost every legend is a lie, Y/N." It's the first time Seonghwa has used your first name, and the tone with which he says it sends a chill down your spine. It shifts again a moment later, and what seems to be his regular timbre returns. "You fixate so much on minute details. Surely you understand my confusion concerning that behavior?"

It takes a moment for realization to sink in, but once it does, your expression melts into one of anger. He is mocking you.

"Fine, then let me ask another question. Why do they call you the Lieutenant of Death?" You are hoping for the words to snag a nerve or turn the discomfort over to him, but all you get in response is a clear laugh that rings through the hall. He throws his head back, hair scattering across his forehead. When he brings his head back down to look you in the eye, his tongue glides across his bottom lip as though in preparation to taunt you again.