26.

26. tell him i'm sorry

---

"He's gone. And I think it's serious this time." 

Chloe felt dread filling every part of her body. She was terrified and nervous. Shakily, she responded, hung up, then put her phone in her back pocket. Ella, who had been begging a nurse for an apple juice, looked at Chloe with concerned eyes. 

"What is it?" Ella asked. She had been working long enough with Chloe to know when something was going wrong. "Chloe, what's happening? You're making me nervous." 

The detective looked at her friend, then through the blinds, into Delilah's room. "Lucifer...he, uh....he's gone. And Maze thinks it's serious. Like, he's-not-coming-back serious." Ella leaned back against the wall and crossed her arms. Chloe's feet took her back and forth through the hallway. Her brain couldn't focus much with the sounds of heart monitors beeping, coughing, and squeaky shoes against the floor. "Should we, I don't know, tell Delilah?" 

Chloe stopped in her tracks. "I'm not sure. I don't know how she'll react. I don't want to put her through more stress than she needs. But...she'll be stuck here, wondering why Lucifer hasn't come to see her the entire time," she spoke in a stream of consciousness. 

Her eyes peered into the room once more, watching Taylor and Delilah speak seriously. She didn't want to intrude but the way Delilah's eyebrows furrowed made her want to know what had her so determined and puzzled. "Maybe Maze can find him. Or...or maybe Dan can send out an APB for him. There are options," Ella spoke frantically while picking at her brightly colored bracelet.

Suddenly, the door to Delilah's room opened with force and Taylor left. She didn't look mad but instead flustered or maybe in shock. Ella started to head inside but Chloe stuck out an arm. 

"Why not?" Ella asked in defense. 

"You're an amazing person but you're not the best at lying, El. She'd be able to tell there's something wrong in an instant," Chloe explained. Ella nodded and slunk back to the wall. Chloe came into the room quietly and noticed the open bible on the nightstand. Delilah was looking out the window, eyes following an airplane. "Hey," Chloe said quietly. 

Delilah looked to Chloe, then down to her hands which were nervously fidgeting with each other. "Where's Lucifer, Chloe?" She asked immediately. Her eyes were red and puffy like she had been crying and her hair was barely hanging on to a bun. "Please tell me."

"Delilah...," Chloe could hardly speak. However, the woman in front of her deserved an answer. She mustered up enough courage and said, "Maze went to his penthouse. And it was dark. He wasn't there. And everything was covered with white sheets." Chloe took a deep breath. "I think he's gone. And I'm not sure where he went." 

Delilah was practically stunned into silence. She opened her mouth once, then closed it, opened it once again, and all that came out was a squeak. Chloe immediately went to her side and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Delilah fell into her grasp and laid her head on Chloe's smooth blazer. They lay like that for a few minutes as Delilah cried silent tears. 

"I'm so sorry," Chloe whispered. "He does this all too often. And I'm sorry. You deserve better than everything that's happened." 

Delilah shook her head and wiped her tears. "No, no. Things moved too quickly and I have too much baggage for this. Too much baggage for relationships. He deserves better," Delilah rambled on, letting out the feelings she had bottled up. "He should be able to touch me without me freaking out. He shouldn't have to worry about me disappearing because someone else from my past kidnapped me." 

Delilah slowly turned over, careful not to bother her incisions and IVs. Her body shook with sobs and Chloe figured she wanted some alone time. She left a lingering touch on her shoulder before beginning to walk out. She was stopped, though, by a quiet call for her. She turned around and faced Delilah again. "If you do find Lucifer...," she paused and took a shaky breath. "...tell him that I'm sorry. And that if he wants to stay apart, then we can." 

Chloe sighed and continued her walk outside. Ella immediately rushed to her side, bombarding her with questions. She followed Chloe all the way down the stairs and out to her car. 

"You're scaring me, Chloe," Ella admitted. "What's going on? What did Delilah say? Did you tell her?" Chloe's engine came to life and she wasted no time pulling out of her parking spot.

"I'm going to kill Lucifer is what's going on." 

--

Maze had called Chloe halfway to Lux and told her to meet her at a parking lot just off of the PCH. Ella gripped the handle above the door until her knuckles turned white, fearful of her reckless driving. Sure she was a cop but did that really give her permission to pull a massive u-turn in the middle of a busy L.A. intersection? Ella wasn't sure. 

She finally slowed down at her turn and pulled the black car next to Maze's bike. Both women jumped out and greeted Maze. She looked angry and she was after having to cancel her date in order to corral Lucifer back to the city.

"So there was no sign of him anywhere in Lux?" Chloe clarified. 

Maze sighed and crossed her arms. "Nothing. He packed most of his clothes, and two of his favorite bottles of liquor then took his car and left. Everything had a white sheet over it," Maze answered. "You know, I really hate when he does this shit. He can't just confront his problems and his feelings so he runs away instead." 

Chloe nodded in understanding. She considered herself to be quite good at communication so having a partner who is so oblivious to emotions became frustrating after a while. Her mind went back to Delilah who was no doubt laying in her bed, upset. "Look," she started. "We'll run his card information and see if he stopped anywhere. He's not getting far without gas. Then we'll go from there. There's no way he got too far. We've done this far too many times but Delilah deserves better." 

The three women nodded. Chloe pulled out her phone and called Dan. She caught him up on everything that had transpired in the past few hours. He wanted to complain but after hearing Chloe's desperation, he got on his work computer and started typing in Lucifer's information. It took just a few minutes before he came up with an answer. 

"Thanks, Dan," she answered before shutting off her phone and returning it to its spot. "He stopped at a gas station three hours ago in some town called Barstow. Dan says it's a three-hour drive. It's a town you pass through on the way to Las Vegas." 

Maze felt rage build up in her body at Lucifer's antics. Of course, he'd go to Las Vegas. It was his personal Sin City. "What are we waiting on?" Maze asked impatiently. 

Chloe and Ella stared at Maze. Ella responded, "If we know he's going to Vegas, we can head out tomorrow. It's almost nighttime." She wanted to leave and find Lucifer but she needed sleep and so did Chloe. 

Maze, however, did not. "Fine. I'm going," she stated. Before anyone could protest, Maze started up her bike, hopped on, and sped off towards the interstate. She might've been banned from Las Vegas but it didn't matter. She'd find Lucifer, threaten him, then drag his ass back to the city. She wasn't sure why she felt so determined but it didn't matter now. She was already fifteen minutes outside the city.

--

um.... hey. 

i know i haven't updated in forever. i start every note with this but i really do mean it this time lmao. i'm in college so getting time to write new chapters of this story is very hard. i also never finished lucifer and it's been likely a year since i watched it. oops. 

anyway! follow my ao3 if you want! i post mainly x readers over there if you're interested. my username is maiselocked. thank you all for enjoying this story so much, it really means the world to me. i promise that I'll try to get this finished soon.