22.

22. alone

☆☆

Taylor stared at maze with wide eyes. She immediately recognized her as the bartender from the first night Taylor and Delilah went to Lux. 

"Woah," Taylor uttered out. Maze strutted into the room. 

Delilah, now secured in Lucifer's arms, giggled at Taylor. 

Lucifer started, "Ah, Taylor, this is your bodyguard. You might remember her from the bar the Lux. She's hard to forget."

Taylor struggled to speak, watching as the woman in leather moved her eyes up and down her body with a slight smirk. "H-hey." 

"Hey," Maze said sultrily. Taylor could've fainted right there had she not the littlest bit of dignity left in her body. Maze smiled, noticing Taylor's mood. "I have no problem protecting her."

"So, this means Taylor will be safe, right?" Delilah asked, looking to Lucifer. "I mean, she looks tough but, y'know, is it enough?"

"Delilah, you have nothing to worry about. Maze was my number two in Hell. She tortured like no other demon and can fight like Hell. Quite literally."

Delilah smiled. She felt relieved that her best friend was now in the protection of someone so strong. She had to be quite the fighter for Lucifer to compare her to a demon, of all things. Delilah knew that this Mazikeen wasn't actually a demon. But honestly, her brain was a tad bit foggy from her previous sleep. 

"Hey." Delilah looked up to Lucifer who had gently titled her head up by the chin. He kissed her on the forehead and brought her in closer. "Everything will be okay, love. I promise."

☆☆

A few hours passed. Delilah was lying on her couch, hands absentmindedly fiddling with the strings on the sweatpants she had changed into. She was alone, which she had to admit was a little frightening but once Frozen came on the TV, her fears slipped away. The detective had called Lucifer for help on a case and though Lucifer didn't want to leave, he knew he needed to be there with his partner. Taylor, well, she had coincidentally made reservations to a restaurant in the short time that she had Maze as a bodyguard and now the two were out somewhere. Delilah wouldn't be surprised if Taylor didn't come home until the morning, hickeys all over her neck and chest. 

The soothing voice of Idina Menzel came close to lulling Delilah to sleep. Her head fell back onto her pillow, eyes drifting closed until her phone rang obnoxiously loud. With a loud groan, she leaned over and picked it up. The number wasn't familiar but she answered it nevertheless. 

"Hello?" She said groggily. 

"Hi, Delilah."

Delilah shot up, hands shaking. That voice sent shivers down her spine. She knew who it was. 

"Why?" That was all she could get out.

"Why what, darling?" 

Delilah sat in silence, paralyzed by her fear. Flashbacks of that night repeated in her mind like a horrible scary movie. A sharp pain hit her back and her body trembled. 

"Are you scared, Delilah?" That cool voice could raise goosebumps on any person's body. "You should be. I know you're smart, girl. You've figured it out." 

"Why are you doing this?" She asked, voice barely a whisper. "Why?" 

"You know why."

"No I don't."

"You're mine."

The phone clicked and the call was ended. Delilah could hardly breathe at that point but acting out of impulse and fear, she jumped up from the couch. Her mind was working subconsciously and she wasn't sure what she was doing. She watched as her hands reached for her keys. She didn't bother putting shoes on. All she wanted to do was feel safe. And right now, she didn't feel safe.

She eventually worked out that she wanted to see Lucifer. She felt safe with him. Safer than she did anywhere else. 

Delilah left her apartment, blindly locking the door and practically running towards the elevator. Shakily, she pressed the button that would take her to the car garage. She hadn't blinked or made any other movements than what she needed to. It wasn't until the elevator dinged that she realized she was even in one. 

The doors opened slowly but she acted quickly. Rather it was blind fear or the sneaking premonition that something was going to happen in the next few minutes, she began to run towards her car. 

She didn't hear the heavy footsteps and thuds until they were right on her. She tried to run faster, her car was in view, but it wasn't fast enough. A large hand hit her arm and snapped her back to the bulky body. 

She writhed and threw her body around. 

"It's no use, darling," that same voice whispered in her ear. "Stop moving."

"Like hell I'll stop," she yelled. She reared her free elbow into the man's side. He groaned loudly and loosened his grip enough for Delilah to escape. She was right on her car when a harsh pull on her hair threw her to the ground and a rag covered her mouth. 

Within minutes, her eyes closed and her body was limp. With a final weak look towards her car, she let herself fall into a sleep. 

A few miles away was Lucifer who had been racing back towards Delilah's apartment. He didn't want to leave her alone in the first place and all he wanted to do was scoop her into his arms and protect her from all the danger the world had to give. He sighed out of relief when her car was still in the garage and took the elevator up to her floor. 

With quick and anxious movements, he knocked on her door. And he knocked some more. "Delilah!" He called out. "Delilah, love?" It was then that his fear started to set in. "Delilah, please." His eyes scanned the hallway before he broke the doorknob and let himself in. 

"Delilah! Delilah!" He kept shouting. He checked every room, he checked under beds, inside closets, everywhere. The sinking realization came in that she wasn't there. He looked in a mirror and his eyes were glowing bright red. Delilah was in serious danger and God forbid he let anyone hurt her. 

☆☆

an update!!!!!!!! this is weird omg i hope you enjoy this! thank you for making this story so popular i appreciate it so much