25.

25. lucifer is the devil

---

"Lucifer, you're going to leave dents in the carpet if you keep pacing," Dr. Linda scolded the man in front of her who had been walking back and forth for the past twenty minutes. Lucifer's head whipped around to meet her eyes and with a sigh, he reluctantly sat down. "What's on your mind?" 

"Delilah," he answered quickly. 

Linda's head tilted in confusion. "She's safe, is she not? Recuperating in the hospital?" 

Lucifer found himself fiddling with the ring on his finger, "She's safe but...."

"But what?" 

"She saw me. My face. My devil face." 

Linda took in a sharp intake of breath then nodded. Lucifer felt guilty for not being by her bedside and he had only visited her twice in the hospital, both of which she had been asleep for. Chloe expressed her frustration with him and told him all about how awful Delilah felt but how could he visit her when she was probably scared of him? He was sure she'd end everything with him. 

"Lucifer!" Linda yelled. He shook his head, snapping out of his daze, and found his therapist staring at him with concerned eyes. "Do you think she's scared of you?" 

Lucifer looked at her incredulously. "Why wouldn't she be? I'm a monster! And she's this pure, innocent, intelligent woman who'd never hurt a fly." 

"Have you seen her since then? Or talked to her?" 

"No." 

"Then how can you be so sure she's scared? You haven't spoken to Delilah at all. If anything, she's probably wondering why you haven't come to her." 

Lucifer took Linda's words into consideration, playing through scenarios in his head before deciding no, she's wrong. It's painfully obvious that Delilah would never would to see Lucifer again and he should hole himself up in his penthouse. Reasonable, no?

He stood with conviction, completely ignoring the Doctor's shouts of protest. Visions of his own marred and dark red face filled his mind. Visions of those he tortured, the pictures of himself in churches, on sidewalks, in media. There was no reason for anyone to truly believe he was good. He caused harm. Delilah deserved no part of that. 

--

Delilah remained unconscious in her hospital bed for two days before her heart monitor started to beep rapidly and she woke with a start. Chloe and Ella were just outside of the room, watching as doctors flooded in and out of Delilah's room. Close to an hour passed before a nurse came out and informed them of her condition. 

"Can we see her?" Ella asked, peeking around the nurse into the room. 

The nurse hesitantly nodded. "Yes, but please be aware that she's still confused, likely from the medicine to ease her pain. Is she very religious?" 

The two looked at each other and shook their heads. The nurse looked back at Delilah. "That's odd. She keeps mumbling about seeing the devil. Poor thing." The nurse walked off and left Chloe and Ella to walk in. 

"Hey Delilah,"  Chloe said softly. She turned her dazed face to the detective. "How are you feeling?"

"Honest or sugarcoat?" She answered. 

"Honest." 

"I'm in pain, I feel so weak I can hardly move my arms, I'm on bed rest for a week or more, I've seen the devil, and I'm scared."

Ella and Chloe+ looked at each other with expressions close to fear, confusion, and utter disbelief. "Do you mean Lucifer, Delilah? He's not really the devil, believe me," Ella said in a weak attempt at reassurance. A loud noise from the hallway outside the room directed all three girls' attention.

"Delilah Ilchester! They said she was still in urgent care, then they told me ICU, and now they said floor 8. Where is she?!" Oh, Taylor. 

"She's in room 803. Right there, miss," a nurse responded as nicely as she could. 

Taylor mumbled an embarrassed thank you and ran into Delilah's room. Chloe and Ella stepped out of the room and back into the hallway so the two could have some privacy. "Thank fucking God you're okay, Dil. Don't ever do that again!" 

"What? Get kidnapped?" Delilah asked with the biggest laugh she could muster. 

"Yes, exactly," Taylor looked around the room. "I figured Lucifer would be here. Or would have sent some flowers." 

Taylor didn't miss the way Delilah's face dropped and her eyes almost welled up with tears. 

"Oh no, oh no. What happened? Do I need to punch him?" Taylor panicked, holding onto Delilah's IV-covered hand. She shook her head rapidly, eyes wide. "Okay. Did he do something bad? You seem scared." Delilah felt her throat close up and though she tried to speak, nothing was coming out. She gestured to the bedside table with the bible in the drawer. "This?" Taylor asked. 

When the bible was in Delilah's hands, she felt as though it could've burned her. Hurriedly, she found a page with the horrid word on it and pointed to it. 

Taylor's eyes found the word just above her finger. Devil. 

"Lucifer," Delilah whispered," Lucifer is the devil." 

--

Not even 20 miles away at the LUX club and Lucifer's penthouse, night had just fallen. Maze, having finished her shift at the bar, walked into the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. Deep down, she felt some sense of dread but played it off as if it was nothing. She had a date later that night and wasn't going to let some silly feeling ruin her mood. 

The elevator dinged and slowly opened. 

Maybe she should've paid attention to the feeling in her gut. She should've left the building and picked up Taylor and never came up. Perhaps she wouldn't have felt abandoned once more or scared of what her friend was doing. 

Lucifer's penthouse had seen this seen just one too many times. White sheets covered the piano, the couches, the bar, the seats, everything. His clothes were gone from his drawers and his favorite bottle of alcohol was missing from the shelf. 

He wasn't on the balcony or the bathroom. The only thing inside Lucifer's penthouse that wasn't covered in a white sheet was a single white feather at the window of his bedroom. 

Maze pulled out her phone and called Chloe first. "Maze?" She answered.

"He's gone," Maze said." And I think it's serious this time." 

--

NEW CHAPTER CAN YOU BELIEVE 

i apologize for this one

i hope u like it though!!