21.

21: maze the bodyguard

☆☆

"Delilah? Love?"

The blonde shifted in the bed, cuddling closer to the warm body next to hers. She felt strong arms wrap around her waist, pulling her impossibly close.

"Are you going to go to work today?" She heard the voice ask her. She was pretty sure it was Lucifer but her mind was still foggy. She simply shook her head and buried it in the crook of his neck. "Do you want me to tell the detective and Ella?"

She nodded at the question and slowly opened her eyes. She looked up at the face of her boyfriend who was looking back at her with adoration in his eyes.

He hadn't slept much that night. He stayed up most of the time she slept as a way to keep her safe and protect her. He would wake her up from nightmares, kiss her forehead, run his hands through her hair, and overall be Delilah's protector and caregiver. She only woke up once in the night and she claimed she had just wanted a glass of water but Lucifer could see the fear in her eyes and the stains on her pillow from her sweat.

Lucifer grabbed his phone from the nightstand and sent a quick text to Chloe and Ella who immediately understood the situation. Delilah slowly sat up and stretched her arms out, raising her plain shirt up. Lucifer watched as more of her skin became exposed to him and he had to hold back from running his hands from under the shirt.

"Whatcha staring at, huh?" Delilah teased when she noticed his wandering eyes.

"Nothing, love. Just admiring you," he responded cheekily. Delilah chuckled and playfully shoved him.

A sudden knock on the door made them both jump, Delilah more than Lucifer. "Uh, Dil? Are you decent?"

"Yeah, what is it, Tay?" Delilah asked. "You can come in."

The door opened slowly and revealed a slightly shaken up Taylor. Her robe was tied tight around her waist and her arms were wrapped around her body. Fear clouded her eyes. "There's something you guys should see."

And with that, Taylor left the room, not waiting for Delilah and Lucifer to follow her. She just had to go back and make sure what she was seeing was correct. She kept pinching her side in hopes that it was a dream but she couldn't wake up.

Delilah and Lucifer looked at each other, both with an equally concerned look. They both got out of bed and followed the same route Taylor took. When they came out, they saw her standing at the doorway, looking down.

Delilah followed Taylor's gaze down to the floor and gasped. Lucifer looked down and protectively wrapped an arm around her waist.

In a brown box, ripped open, sat two white orchids dipped in a red liquid. Delilah blinked a few times before realizing what the liquid two was. Inside that box, were one of Delilah's favorite flowers, dipped in blood.

☆☆

Lucifer had later excused himself from the two girls and stepped into the bathroom, then immediately pulled out his phone.

He had done some thinking while holding Delilah and bringing her back to safety. Delilah was one of the few things he truly cared about on Earth. He could easily protect her but he knew, deep down, that she'd never be okay if Taylor was harmed. So, he called up his own personal bodyguard.

"Mazikeen," he greeted when the demon answered the phone.

"Lucifer," she replied, almost coldly. "What do you need?"

"I need your services," Lucifer responded, resting his hand on the sink. He stared at himself in the mirror and only then realized how disheveled he had become.

"Who do I have to find and kill?"

"No, Maze. It's not that. Well, yet. I'm not sure the Detective would be too happy about that."

"Then what is it?"

"I need you to be a bodyguard again. Delilah's douche-bag of an ex-boyfriend seems to be targeting those close to her. I want you to come to the address I'm going to text you."

Maze sighed but agreed and hung up the phone. She grabbed her blades and headed towards Delilah's apartment. Lucifer came out of the bathroom and headed back towards the living room where he left the two girls.

Taylor was sat on the far end of the couch, head leaned back on the cushion. Delilah's head was resting on her lap, soft snores coming out of her mouth. Taylor turned her head at the sound of Lucifer coming into the living room and held a finger to her hips as a way to keep him quiet. Lucifer solemnly nodded and took a spot on the other end of the couch, carefully moving Delilah's legs into his lap.

"I have a friend coming over," Lucifer whispered to Taylor. "She's going to be your security, if you will. I knew Delilah would want you to stay safe."

"That's sweet of you to do, Luci," Taylor whispered back, subconsciously running her hands through Delilah's hair. "She really likes you, y'know? Never shuts up about you."

A fond smile came to his face. "I feel the same about her. She's wonderful."

Taylor copied the smile before it turned serious. "She's been through so much but you'd never know. She just keeps it bottled up. I think you're the only one who's gonna be able to help her through this. I can do as much as I can but she relies on you, trust me."

Lucifer nodded as his smile went away and was replaced by a raised eyebrow and soft eyes. Taylor was right. Completely right.

A few moments later, a knock came to the door that woke Delilah up. She pulled herself up and stretched, eyes focused on the door. Lucifer stood up and went to the door. She couldn't see who was on the other side of the door but it seemed like Lucifer knew who he was talking to.

Then, he turned to the side and in came the tan, dark-haired bartender who Taylor had practically drooled over the night she met Lucifer. Delilah raised an eyebrow and pushed herself off the couch, followed by Taylor. The blonde's best friend seemingly couldn't keep her eyes off the woman dressed in all black and leather.

"So, who's bodyguard am I?"