001.

chapter one

chapter one

chapter one

"Hey Nance," Vivian breathed out helpless breathes as she slammed her coffee cup on the desk in the Hawkins High school newspaper room.

"Geez Viv," Nancy Wheeler stated taking in the state of her best friend. "You look like you just ran a marathon." She crossed her arms, suddenly thinking of scenarios concerning why Vivian would be so out of breath so early in the morning. A disgusted look appeared on Nancy's face as she started to shake her head. "No, please don't tell me you and Johnny-"

"Ew!" Vivian cut Nancy off sharply. "No, of course not. Nance you know." She reassured Nancy with a sigh. Nancy knew her and Johnny hadn't gotten that far yet.

"Well, I mean," Nancy tried to save herself with a deep breath. She knew the topic of sex frightened Vivian. She was a high school senior surrounded by teenagers who have all done it multiple times, with multiple people, yet Vivian was still a virgin; and she was frankly embarrassed by it, yet she didn't want to give herself up to her boyfriend Johnny... despite feeling the constant pressure to. "You could be out of breath from making out too?" The pitch in Nancy's voice rose higher the longer her sentence ran on.

"I ran here from the parking lot, so I wouldn't see Johnny in the hallway." Vivian confessed, staring at her coffee cup and not daring to look Nancy in the eye. She wasn't proud of this, nor was she proud of her relationship. Johnny and Vivian were the epitome of the perfect high school couple on paper, but below the surface she was stuck in a not-so-ideal relationship that only Nancy knew of.

"Viv," Nancy sighed out while resting her hand on Vivian's shoulder. "What happened this time?"

"Nothing too bad," Vivian looked to her side at Nancy, meeting her eyes. "We just had a bad night."

Nancy gulped, nodding her head and understanding what she meant by this. It was typical for Johnny to show up at Vivian's house late at night: drunk. The same order of events would proceed where he would be sweet to her, and then end up pressuring her to sleep with him, to which she declined every time and Johnny never left without an argument. To Nancy's knowledge their arguments never got physical and Nancy never noticed any suspicious marks or bruises on Vivian's skin, despite looking for them every chance that she could. Nancy didn't like Johnny, nor did she fancy his fraternal twin brother: Jason, the captain of the basketball team that was having a pep rally this morning before the big championship game tonight.

The two girls stood together in silence for a few minutes while Nancy flipped through some paper samples and Vivian sipped her coffee silently, calming down from her adrenaline rush of getting to the office before Johnny noticed her in the halls. The bell then rang, making the girls jump up from their activities and look at the clock.