003.

chapter three

chapter three

chapter three

She was waiting at the exit of the gymnasium as soon as Lucas Sinclair made the buzzer beater shot to win the championship game. A wave of relief mixed with anxiety ran through her nerves as she pressed on the door, revealing the fresh air of the night.

Vivian felt comfort knowing that Johnny would be preoccupied with his teammates for at least a couple more minutes while they celebrated the win on the court and celebrated the benchwarmer. Lucas was another one of Nancy's brother's friends; someone she was happy for. Vivian didn't like that basketball team very much or the egotistical vibe that sweated out of their pores, but if anyone deserved to hit the winning shot it was someone like Lucas.

The cold air hit her skin as she stepped outside and pulled the cardigan she kept on her side at all times, for just that reason, around her shoulders. She started to make her way to her car when a pair of doors opened from another part of the school. Loud laughter, cheering, and happiness poured out of those doors as she immediately recognized Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, and Erica Sinclair. The happiness that radiated off of the children made Vivian stop in the parking lot and she admired the innocence of the children, they were purely having a fantastic time without any care in the world.

As they moved away from the door they revealed another figure standing in the doorway, watching them with that same admiration. Even just by his dark silhouette Vivian could point out that it was Eddie Munson. And she thought she had definitely seen him more today than she had her whole life, but that wasn't necessarily true. Vivian thought she saw him more than she ever had today because she finally noticed him. Eddie had always been there in school with her, and he noticed her, she just never truly noticed him until now.

The doors then opened from the gymnasium, groups and more groups flooded out from the basketball game and Vivian's fight or flight mode kicked in as she recognized the top of Johnny's head. Something was gnawing on her heartstrings concerning this Eddie Munson anyway, and she chose the flight method.

Vivian tucked her head down as she walked through the crowd towards the door Mike and his friends previously exited from. She grabbed the door handle as soon as it was about to close and she felt a knot in her stomach as she faced the backside of Eddie who had already started walking down the dark hallway. "Eddie," she called out in a soft, unthreatening voice that was so pleasing to his ears it alarmed him.

Eddie stopped in his tracks wondering if this voice was real or if it was a part of his imagination. Hell, it very well could've been, he just got done playing D&D with an eleven year old girl who had the potential to beat his ass.

"It's Vivian, Vivian Marsh." She informed him, letting the door close behind her as she stepped into the school building.

Her again? Eddie couldn't help but feel like this was a sick joke, something Johnny and the rest of the basketball boys must've put her up to; to expose him and bring back the bullying. "What do you want?" Eddie turned around to face her. He didn't mean for it to come off as rude as it sounded, it was just because he was trying to be cautious incase this really was a trap he would be walking blindly into.