Loneliness

~Chapter Four~

Max slouched into the couch and let out a frustrated growl as he ran a hand through his brown hair. Izzy was refusing to answer any of his calls and it had been nearly a week since she had left. His hand itched as he held his cell phone in hand and neared his thumb to the call button again. Snapping it shut he tossed it aside and rubbed his face as he rose off the couch. He was going insane by himself, there had to be something to do.

Quitting his past life was harder than he thought but he had to admit he did feel a lot at ease with himself since he had called it cold turkey. Although going to a party didn't seem so bad, maybe he could go have a few drinks and come home...alone. Fiddling with the plain silver ring on his finger that Izzy had given to him as a gift he scoffed and tossed on a shirt.

"Just a walk, that's all." He muttered to himself.

The sidewalk was deserted as his combat boots scrapped against the grey cracked pavement. Truthfully he didn't usually wear these types of shoes but Izzy had insisted they looked great on him. He ignored the small little voice in the back of his head telling him to reach for his phone and give her a call yet again. More than certain he was sure that her grandfather had passed away and she was simply in a grieving moment at the time. Max would give Izzy three more days.

***

For a long moment Jenny simply laid on the ground of her mother's room holding closely the bright red dress she had first worn on her first date with her father. The dress was a soft cotton silk with small sapphire beads sowed on to the bottom of the dress which only went up to her knees.

Maybe to others this situation and position might have seemed so odd to them but this was the only thing Jenny had that could ease her sorrow and hollowness. She shifted just a little as her right side began to go numb from lying on it and rested her head on a fluffy pillow. Jenny closed her eyes and snuggled into the comforter trying to get some sleep. This room was the only place she could feel a little at ease. Her eyes snapped wide open when a sudden loud thunk was heard downstairs. She forced her injured body to sit up and grunted in pain as she did her best to ignore her wounds and back pain.

The knocks came again and she hurried to pull her dead stems out of the room and towards the stair case. Had she locked the door? Her legs squeaked against the glossy dark wooden floor as she reached for the side rail and pulled herself to sit. The knob turned and her heart stopped as she gripped the railing for support.

"Take one more step and the police will be here any minuet!" she shouted out.

"Jenny? It's Max..."

"Max." she whispered.

The faint squeaks of the hinges to the front door protested as he pushed it open and entered the large empty living room. She watched the top of his head as it turned in all directions. Dressed in a sleeveless blue shirt and jeans Max hid his hands into his pockets as he took a few more steps inside.

"Jenny?"

"Up here." She called out after a few moments.

His head snapped up and a bright smile filled his worried expression and suddenly she felt a small skip in the center of her chest.

"I'm sorry to just barge in, but the door was unlocked and I was..."

"What do you want Max." she asked.

He stopped and chuckled as he stared at her small frame through the gaps of the railing.

"Just stopping by to see how you were doing, I actually have some news from Vicky."