Drifting Days

Chapter Fifteen

One month later...

Jenny Grant heaved for breath as she settled back unto her empty living room floor. She did what she could to exercise every day and now that an entire month had gone by, she was beginning to evolve a lot more feeling down to her knees. The tingles still lingered but it reassured her that maybe she would be able to make a full recovery. Friendly dates with Gus and his friends at the park happened every other day distracting her of the lonely misery she felt whenever she came inside her home. Odd enough she would have thought that this grand home would have felt like some sort of fortress to her, but it failed.

"Jenny?"

She sat up and wiped at her brow as she watched the front door to her house creak open. With caution, Danny stepped in watching his surroundings as he came to set his sight on Jenny in a sweaty mess.

"Are you alright?" He asked alarmed.

She smiled kindly at him and waved his concern away as she made it to her wheel chair and settled on it.

"Wow, Danny, you look great, how have you been?" She asked.

"Good, I've been really good, I just dropped by to see how you were doing. I feel absolutely guilty for staying away so long." He chuckled.

"Ah, don't worry about it." she shrugged.

"Listen I came over cause I was wondering if you maybe wanted to come over and have dinner with us?" He asked.

She felt her gut knot out of fright as she looked at him with wide eyes and she quickly masked the surprised expression. "I uh...thank you but I must decline." She chuckled.

"Why? Have you got plans?" He asked.

"Danny...I now this happened a long time ago and please do not feel weird or anything but I can't go to your mother's house after what we...were together. I would feel extremely weird if your girlfriend should be there." She confessed.

"I don't have a girlfriend." Danny replied.

"I'm sorry I can't." She whispered.

He nodded and turned to look over his shoulder observing his surroundings. "I know this is none of my business but I can't help but notice you are missing all of your furniture?" He asked.

The question brought back old memories as Jenny felt her stomach overturn and she gripped the handles to her wheelchair. It had been a month and there had been no sign of Max ever trying to reach her again. The pain that had ate at her day by day as she spent her days parked in front of her window looking out for any sign of him killed whatever hope lingered in her to wait for his return. She knew she should be happy that maybe she had saved a relationship and now Max was happier than ever. However, her heart wept because he no longer came.

"Jenny?"

"I'm sorry, I was thinking about something else." She honestly replied.

"Anything I can help with? He asked.

"No, everything is fine." She grinned.

"Jenny if it makes you feel uncomfortable to eat with my parents then I'd like to invite you to eat at my place." He suggested.

"I thought you live here with your mother?" She asked.

"No, of course not, I visit a lot but I have my own apartment." He replied.

"I'd like that Danny, but for today it's going to have to be dinner for one." Jenny said.

Danny nodded and hesitated to lean forward and place a tender kiss on her cheek exiting the house with a "See you later."