Bottled Up

Chapter Eighteen

They had arrived in North Carolina a few hours ago and now they sat across Alex and Vicky's grand living room love seat. The couple looked so happy, the most he had seen since the whole ordeal had happened. Alex gently stroked his fiancées arm in a circular motion while his other arm squeezed her just a bit tighter to his side. Vicky's smile could not be contained as she curled her legs up unto the seat and rubbed the small little belly that had begun to form. Envy could not help but spurt inside Max as he looked at them both. He craved to know just what it felt like to hold the one you loved so freely without the bad judgment. Ever since he had grown tired of having endless women he had longed to know what a life of commitment felt like.

"I was discussing with Max about your pick for the maid of honor." Izzy suddenly said.

He was quickly brought back down to earth as he ripped his gaze away from Vicky's baby bump, and shifted a bit in his seat.

"I was considering having Jenny as my maid of honor, she was the only one I could really talk to...and well I don't have many friends." Vicky replied.

"Didn't you hear?" Izzy suddenly said.

Max's knew that if Izzy told Vicky about Jenny his word to her would be broken. She had insisted in keeping Vicky and Alex in the dark about her situation only because she did not want them to worry, and he in return had promised to keep his mouth shut. His mind scrambled for words as Izzy inched closer to the edge of her seat to speak.

"What?" Vicky asked, curious.

"She is cr..."

"Busy...she is really busy, I personally delivered the message for her but she simply cannot do it. Now she is renovating her house, taking out old stuff and finishing things here and there. But she sends her deepest apologies." Max quickly said.

"Oh...," Vicky replied, there was slight disappointment in her eyes as she leaned her head against her partners shoulder.

Alex simply observed his best friend and could not help but let a small smirk play on his lips as he took in the rigid sitting position he was in. Max looked distracted and most of all disheveled. It was odd to see his best friend in such a state. Curiosity began to bug Alex as he watched Max pick at his nails.

"Why don't we step outside and let these ladies get acquainted." Alex suggested.

Max quickly rose and let out a relived breath as he hurried out of Izzy's side and vanished through the sliding glass door to the back porch. He paced the large cherry oak wooden floor and ran a hand through his hair as Alex suddenly approached.

"I am well aware of when you are hiding something, and you are definitely hiding something." Alex said.

Max paused in his pacing and looked at his friend and for the first time since they were eight Max was overwhelmed to cry. Instead of breaking down like a silly sixteen year old, Max held his breath for fear he'd lose it. He wasn't going to cry over the situation, it wouldn't solve it or make it go away.

"Max is everything alright?" Alex asked, his tone clearly worried.

Who else could he tell about the battle that was raging in his heart? Taking a deep breath Max stared out to the soothing sun gracing the large back yard Alex had freshly cut.  "It's nothing, I've got a lot on my mind that's all." He replied.

"Well I'm listening." Alex said. Max turned over his shoulder and watched as Alex took a lawn chair and sat. He waited for Max to take the seat across from him.

"Is your company in need of some help? Having financial problems?" He pressed.

"The company is doing good and no I don't need money. That is not an issue." Max said.