Bad News

~Chapter One~

Max watched as his best friend was embraced by all of his family. He was happy for him and so quietly, he slipped out of the room giving them privacy. Oddly enough, he found himself standing outside of Jenny's door and slowly opened it to find her alone once again. He furrowed his brow as he looked around. Didn't she have any family at all? Quietly he took a seat next to her bed and out of reaction reached for her hand and held it. Izzy had not bothered to show up, but he was more than certain she was unaware of anything yet.

His worries faded as he watched Jenny lay fast asleep. She had lost a lot of blood, enough to give the paramedics a difficult time to find a pulse. Now that she laid in bed he could not believe that the last thing he had told her was that he had been tempted to insult her.

The respirator buzzing at the far distance provided her with oxygen, keeping her heart steady. A pellet from the bullet had managed to pierce her lung in the process. He could not imagine just how terrible the rest of her was. The few bags of blood had helped her gain her color back. Only large purple rings formed under her eyes.

"I'm sorry Jenny," he whispered, lightly rubbing her hand. She stirred and a small moan rang in the back of her throat. Her eyes slowly fluttered open and a fading smile formed on her lips.

The action twisted a knot in Max's gut as he admired just how strong she really was. Her fingers lightly squeezed his hand as her eyes gave out once again.

"You're forgiven." She lightly replied, through her mask.

Suddenly the door slammed open to reveal Izzy, her expression a cold one as both her hands rested on each hip. A dark glare filled her expression as she stared at Max caress Jenny's hand.

"This is where you're hiding!" Izzy hissed. "Who is she!" she snapped unable to bear looking at her fiancée hold hands with another woman.

"A friend," he replied, quickly letting go of Jenny's hand. "Why don't we talk outside?" He requested. He turned over his shoulder and threw Jenny an apologetic look before wrapping an arm around Izzy's waist and pulling her away.

After explaining everything Izzy became calm and finally held Max close. He held her and let out a relived breath, now everything could go back to normal. They would soon get married and start a family, and he hoped deep down that Alex did too. He wished all the luck he could give Vicky, she was in a bad sate, but if fate had brought those two together again then he was certain their love surpassed anything. Even near death experiences.

For a moment he hesitated to leave and stopped Izzy in her tracks. He needed to do this; somehow the idea of leaving Jenny without saying goodbye ate at him as he explained it to her. She gave him an unsure glare but none the less she let go of his hands. He retreated back into the room just in time to see the doctor slip inside.

Max walked in and quietly waited beside the door. He watched as Jenny positioned her bed to sit. Her eyes, he was certain, would give out at any moment. She was tired from the loss of blood and the surgeries she had gone under.

"How are we feeling?" The doctor asked, there was a soft smile on the old mans lips as he gently rubbed her shoulder.

Jenny nodded in return and offered the doctor a faint smile. "Sore and tired." She replied.

"Miss. Grant, I have some...rather difficult news to tell you." He said as kindly as he could.

Max watched as Jenny grew tense, her eyes grew sad and confused as she waited for the doctor to continue.

"I'll be quick with my words, I know you must be tired." He said.

"Okay."

"Most of the pellets only peirced your skin and muscles, they never reached the organs but...there were a few that did some damage. Your left lung was pierced as you well know and...we found another pellet in your spine. Here is the oddest thing Miss Grant, if we remove said pellet, it could leave you paralyzed for the rest of your life. Not removing the pellet could cause you excruciating pain to walk. I'm afraid you have no other choice but to be confined to a wheel chair. We will wait and see after your next surgery how you fare. If there is no sign of infection we will proceed with the next surgery."