Past Mistakes

Chapter Thirteen

The house lay silent and only the faint tunes of the radio gave it some sort of life as Jenny laid sprawled on her living room floor once again. Settling her giant box of crystal beads next to her she rummaged through the colors uncertain of what she wanted to create.

Gus Flair had taught her how to play chess yesterday and the best thing she could offer him for showing a slow learner such a tricky game was a key chain. Jenny scrunched her legs so that they knotted into an Indian sitting position and quickly lost herself in the small gift she would offer Gus when she went back to the park.

A knocked echoed at her front door and she froze to listen to who it might be. When the front door opened she watched as Max approached the open archway to the living room and leaned on it.

"Hey."

Jenny looked to Max, his arms crossed over his chest and for the first time a smile did not greet her.

"Is everything alright?" She asked, a bit puzzled.

"Why wouldn't it be?" He replied a bit stiffly.

Jenny felt the slightest sting hit her chest as she looked down to the key chain she was making.

"I'm sorry I asked?" She muttered.

A few nights ago Max had seemed understanding, caring, and even a good listener, but it seemed that today he had awakened on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe he had regretted confessing to her that he had feelings for another woman. Maybe Max was tired of coming here because guilt kept driving him back. On the other hand, something must have happened between his girlfriend and him. Jenny scrambled to pick the right motive for his actions and with a large wave of sad emotions overcoming her she bit down on her lip refusing to show as much.

Max was tired of coming here, she could tell, and maybe she was wrong about that, but she also knew he was regretting opening up to her. He was quick to catch the lies she always said for some reason and so this time Jenny put the best role-play she would ever have to do. She hated lying and she hated begin alone but what could she do when it was her curse.

With a sigh she looked up at Max who was starring at her intently. She ignored the strong gaze and forced a smile on her face, one that made her cheeks hurt and her eyes crinkle.

"I have great news...my uncle Jeffrey heard about what happened...I know, better late than never, but he's offered to take me down to New Mexico for a while. It's only a week vacation, but I figure it's better than anything I have going on." She lied.

Silence lingered and Jenny forced herself to look away from where Max stood.

"Max, I don't know if a cat's got your tongue but if y-you and Izzy are having issues then I strongly suggest you go on home." She whispered.

"A week." He said, instead.

"Yes."

"When?"

"I fail to see why you care?" She challenged, feeling anger choke her.

"You're right, why do I?" He replied.

Jenny felt a metaphorical hand squeeze around her heart and she felt her breath choke her as she gripped the beads in her hand.

"Max I hate to say this, but it's best that you go home...now." She strongly suggested.

***

He had come with the intention of seeing her for the last time, and it pained him that he was hurting her to save his engagement. Jenny's face broke and he could clearly see the pain it caused her to have him act in such a harsh way. Out of reaction Max pushed away from the wall and knelt down to where Jenny failed miserably to gather the large box of beads.