Trip

Chapter Sixteen

Jenny felt her heart soar, Danny had been nothing but a gentleman all night, and the date had gone swimmingly. She felt a smile grow on her face for the first time in the longest and looked up to meet his dashing grin.

"It was nice to catch up on old times." He whispered.

"Thank you, Danny, you haven't the slightest clue on how much I needed this." She muttered.

Danny seemed to hesitate as he leaned forward in return, Jenny simply smiled politely waiting for him to peck her on the cheek. She was taken by surprise when a small tender shy kiss was placed on her lips. Jenny felt her breath hitch a bit, as she opened her eyes to look at him bewildered.

"Danny." She muttered.

Danny leaned in and kissed her again this time taking her slender face into his hands; he was not demanding but rather coaxing her to trust him. Jenny felt her lip shiver as she savored the old feeling once again. Her lips parted and Danny sighed into her taking her lips a bit harder. Jenny was first to pull away as she reached for her lips and looked up to meet his gaze.

"I'm confused." She said.

"Jenny, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while, I want to try again, I want to give us another shot." Danny confessed.

She pushed away and took him in, studying his features. There were millions of pros and cons quickly invading her thoughts as she shifted her gaze away from Danny.

"I need time to give this thought, Danny, I can't give you a straight forward answer." She whispered.

He nodded and gently gave her hand a squeeze as a reassuring smile filled him.

"I could learn to deal with your condition," he said before bidding her goodnight.

Jenny looked as he got into his car and drove off, her chest heaving a bit as her hand directed itself back to her lips. Danny wanted to try their relationship but that last reply had haltered all giddiness inside of her.

Danny could learn? She did not need someone to learn to love her the way she was, and if Danny was having issues trying to cope with the fact that she was crippled, then she would have no part in being in a relationship with him. She slammed her door and felt the kiss quickly fall into the large batch of regrets she already had and eased away from the door. Jenny quickly removed her earrings and took the nicely thin silver chain with a heart shaped locket at the end from around her neck. A sudden knock made her grow a bit tense as she turned over her shoulder and took a sharp breath. Jenny turned her wheel chair around and called out for the stranger to identify themselves.

"Izzy, I'm Max's fiancé?" came the voice. Jenny grew even tenser as she neared the door and turned the knob around.

"Izzy, what brings you around?" She asked.

Izzy pushed past Jenny's door without being invited, and paced the small hall wiping tears Jenny had not realized she shed.

"Is everything alright?" She asked. Her heart pounded heavily as she watched Izzy run a hand through her long blond hair and sigh.

"Max...he came home drunk...I don't know what to do." She muttered.

"Why come to me?" Jenny asked.

"I don't have anyone else, I mean my family on the other side can be so supportive of me, but not when it comes to Max." She whispered.

"Izzy, I fail to see where I can help you here." She said.

"I know, I know I just could not bear to call my family to tell them how he came home. He was ranting on and on about how he let her slip away, and I fear...I fear that maybe he might have feelings for another woman." She whimpered.