ᴛᴇɴ

TW: MENTIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT

"𝗖an you two keep it in your trousers until you're upstairs?" he rolled his eyes

Kai and Mason laughed wickedly behind him, grinning like a pair of morons as they raced each other up the stairs. They did not heed his warning because they were grabbing onto each other and making out as they walked down the second-floor landing to his brother's room.

Kaedyn shook his head and closed the front door as their laughs managed to escape the upstairs room. Once it was locked, he padded over to the kitchen for a water bottle and for the headphones he'd left there to charge this morning. He was going to need them now that Mason was back to his normal self – just on that interaction alone, he knew what they were about to do.

The three of them spent the morning out at the beach, just walking up and down it, skipping rocks, and talking about everything that has happened recently. He was happy to see that they could get past this bump in the road together; he considered himself lucky that Mason was the person he was. If he had been born with the personality of Blaine or Maverick, it could have gone wildly different.

Ew.

He cringed at his own thought—

Maverick.

That dude had so much nerve and not enough body to hold it all.

He shook his head, ridding his thoughts as he climbed the stairs. He upped the volume on his phone; even though he had his noise-canceling headphones on, he could still sadly hear the two of them, and he would still from his room without the wonderful creation of loud music. 

Taking a sip of his water and opening his door at the same time, he spun to the beat of the song in his ears, switching on the light in the process. Facing front again, he jumped in the air and almost spit out his drink as he noticed a figure sitting on his bed (he was pretty sure he screamed a bit, too).

Kaedyn tore his headphones off and placed his water on one of his dressers as he inched deeper into the room. He knew who it was before he could see her face. Even after only knowing her for a week, he memorized her figure easily; with her head tucked in her knees and her arms wrapped around her body, hugging herself, he was glad he did so.

He sat on the bed next to her, "Caycee? What are you doing here?"

For a second, he didn't think that she was going to answer him. Then, slowly, and subtly, she raised her shoulder blades and dropped them. He let out a sigh, placed his headphones on the bed and edged closer to her. She was sitting in the middle of it, right by the headboard, and he was on the end, wanting to close the gap between them.

When she didn't offer him anything else, he leaned over and touched her hand.

He instantly recoiled as she flinched so hard she sat up and pushed herself back. His eyes widened in horror as he noticed the look of her face – one that had been so clear a few hours ago. Her lips now had cuts lining them – one of her eyes was growing a dark shade of purple, and her cheeks were covered in dried blood.