ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ - ꜰᴏᴜʀ

𝗙ront door?

𝗙ront door?

Slammed.

Bedroom door?

Slammed even harder.

Mason made it maybe three steps into his room before he collapsed to his knees on the ground. That stance was another thing that barely held up; before he could think, he was sitting back on his heels, his body curled into itself. With his forehead on the ground and his hands in his hair, he completely broke apart.

Heavy heaves attacked his body; somewhere in the midst of his breakdown, he grew to hate himself for letting the same person hurt him in the same way – how stupid could he be to believe his words senselessly?—how naïve he preferred to be.

It was like everything he ever said to him was erased from his memory in that moment — like a wipe to a whiteboard; one swipe and all he's depended on, and all he's loved, and all the thoughts he wanted to memorize like words on paper were gone without the hope of return.

He doesn't love me.

Why doesn't he love me?

He palmed the floor, letting his curled body sink into it fully, as if he was being absorbed into the carpet. He found himself wondering why the hell he ever let Kai in because realistically speaking, that's what he'd been doing for the last four months by his side.

Little by little, piece by piece, he was a replica carpet, taking every particle of his being.

All for what?

To not love him back? To not reciprocate respect? To act as if his existence was a bane on his life even after multiple words of affirmation, in the past, and in that last conversation?

The longer he thought about what they've been through, the more his head hurt. The longer he tried to dwell on his words – to decipher what was a lie and what was something short of honesty – his heart skipped beats, and not in a good way.

He felt like he couldn't breathe.

Taking ten minutes to himself to feel pain and numbness at the same time, he finally pushed off the floor and walked on unstable legs to the bathroom. He wiped the tears off his cheeks, pulling himself together enough to reach into the cabinet and pull out black hair dye.

It took him fifteen minutes to sloppily apply it across all of the red strands—

The same amount of time it took Kai to break him to pieces.

Fifteen minutes in exchange for a lifetime.

Tossing the stupid brush and ripping the gloves off his hands, he ignored the newly stained sink and stared at his reflection. He studied the pale color of his eyes and how they matched the tone of his skin – empty and devoid. He watched the way his eyelids puffed up from all the crying he's been doing since he got his heart stomped on.