ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ꜰᴏᴜʀ

"𝗜 don't understand why I have to do this

"𝗜 don't understand why I have to do this."

Mason huffed a whine under his breath as he pushed off his wheelchair and hobbled to his feet. Emiko and Blake were on either side of him, helping him steady on his good leg. After the initial swelling from the accident went down, the doctors were able to determine that his left leg had been sprained, not broken. His right leg's tibia had been snapped in three places.

He was nearing the two-week mark in the hospital.

His left leg was healed to the point where he could walk on it, and his right leg had been situated with a walking boot this morning. The doctors wanted him up and out of his wheelchair as soon as possible.

"You have to earn your mobility back," Blake scowled.

"Did you really think you could not walk for two weeks and you wouldn't require some semblance of physical therapy?" Emiko added, "You're lucky your muscles haven't atrophied."

"Is it bad if I say yes?" he mumbled.

"You basically live in Kai's room," Blake snorted, "I'm sure you've got a head start."

"I do not. Even if I wanted to exercise in that way, I'm in no position mentally to try it. Kai isn't the type of person to require it. He knows that I need time. And besides, he kind of can't fuck me with all those stitches and his broken femur."

"Mm, I don't know," Emiko said thoughtfully, "I think that if you say the words, that man will find a way to make you happy. Plus, when I saw him earlier, the doctor was going to remove his stitches, so you no longer have an excuse. Kai is your lapdog, and you know it."

Mason rolled his eyes as Emiko left his side to find her forgotten bag of chips.

As her munching filled the room, and he started to walk with Blake's help, he felt his face warm. He knew that Emiko wasn't wrong about his husband—that Kai would do anything to put Mason's feelings above his own, but he also knew that there was more to intimacy than having sex. Being around him, breathing him in, feeling his chest rumble as he laughed—Kai had told him that was all he needed, and Mason felt the same way.

"I'll stay with the kids," Emiko plopped onto the bed, "You two have fun."

"All three of them?" Mason drew his head back.

"It's not a big deal."

Mason glanced at Ruby and Tripp huddled in the corner of the room. Tripp was building a tower with oversized Legos while Ruby was whooshing her toy airplane. Their voices weren't loud enough to interrupt their conversation, but he knew from the way that Tripp was eyeing Ruby that he was going to want to play with the plane soon.

He also knew that Ruby hated sharing.

"Honey, are you sure? Andi is probably going to wake up soon."

"It's just two toddlers and an infant," she shrugged, "How hard could it be?"