ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ - ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

𝗞aedyn mumbled a tune under his breath as he rinsed out a bowl and flipped it upside down, placing it on the dishwasher wiring

𝗞aedyn mumbled a tune under his breath as he rinsed out a bowl and flipped it upside down, placing it on the dishwasher wiring. Usually, he didn't act so domesticated and that was probably due to having maids growing up, but the sink was piling and he wasn't expecting his brother to get anything done – he barely left his room nowadays.

Sighing, he put his last cup on the prongs and stepped away; wiping his wet hands on his sweatpants, he ran up the stairs and made his way to Kai's room. He needed to make sure that he wasn't harboring any dishes – or at least, that's what he was telling himself. Realistically, most of the reason he started to clean was because he knew he had some, and he wanted an excuse to make sure he was okay.

He knocked lightly, "Kai?"

Pushing the door open without waiting for a response, he noticed that the light pouring in from the hallway was the only readily available one. His lights were off and his blinds were closed; not even the brightness of the moon was seeping through them.

Kaedyn left the door ajar to make sure he could see where he was going. His eyes immediately adjusted and traced the lines of his bedside tables and dressers; there looked to be three plates and two glasses in total, and even if it was a gross collection, he was just thankful he was eating.

Stepping in further, he approached the bed.

Kai was still wearing the same clothes from earlier. One of his shoes was unlaced but they were both still on and knowing him, he hated shoes on his bed. He let his expression falter as he sat down near him, picking up on the fact that he was laying on the right side of the bed and not the left.

Another abnormality.

I can imagine why.

"Hey, are you okay?"

His twin did not answer. He just simply tapped his phone screen and clicked the next button for his music; the brightness illuminated his face and he could see that he was still crying. The saddest part was?—his face was stone-cold and expressionless.

"Kai," he went to touch his leg.

He shifted away from him, "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine."

"Leave me alone."

"You know you can talk to me—"

Kai leaned over and grabbed the pillow he was not laying on and chucked it at his face. He mumbled something under his breath and curled back into his ball while he pulled it off and rested it in his lap. He hated that he was feeling like this and he wanted to do something, anything, to heal his pain – but he wasn't needed. He never was.

"Okay, I'll leave you be."

"It's what you do best," he stared at the wall.

Kaedyn stood up but halted, taking in his words. He knew exactly what he was referencing – the last time he lost someone close to his heart, he disappeared without a word. He knew that he had every right to speak on it, but that wound was still open, and that hurt more than he wanted to admit. But, like always, he would never tell him that.