ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

𝗧he soles of his converse slapping against the pavement repetitively burned against the bottom of his feet as he sprinted down the backside of the main street, desperate to find the answers to his questions

𝗧he soles of his converse slapping against the pavement repetitively burned against the bottom of his feet as he sprinted down the backside of the main street, desperate to find the answers to his questions. He was so scared that if he didn't hurry up and chase down the son of a bitch who opened fire against his twin – Mason would be next, as he was already headed in that direction.

Fear was a real thing.

Anyone who just experienced them murder a room full of men would never believe that he or his brother could ever feel such an emotion, but that was so far from the truth, it felt suffocating. Just the thought of someone dropping to the ground without the hope of survival replayed in his mind like a terrifying, broken record.

It was his biggest nightmare and his greatest weakness.

Mason. Kaedyn. Mason. Kaedyn.

He kept his mind on that track – thinking about them and how their safety was at risk as he located the alley which held the building the gunman was allegedly on. He stopped in his tracks, breathing heavily as he looked up at the brick side, investigating all of its contents.

His mentality flattened in relaxation as he spotted a fire escape off the edge of it – the only problem was, the ladder wasn't down. But, for him, right now – in this moment?—that was no problem. That was a small block in his airway; he just needed someone to perform the Heimlich on him.

Kai placed both of his hands on the nearby dumpster, hoisting himself up without breaking a sweat. He cracked his neck and his fingers before backing up, taking a running step, and jumping. He applauded himself mentally when his fingers grasped the lowest handle of the black metal.

Though, he had no time to wait for the ladder to fall to the ground.

Using pure upper body and ab strength, he climbed up it, dangling down; he pulled himself through the small opening and wasted no time as he started to sprint up the four flights of stairs. He watched his step, carefully counting the amount of bullets he had left; there were more than enough.

Thinking realistically, if a sniper had been the one to take down his friends, then it was clear they would need a high vantage point. He could easily make the argument that they used the top floor for their perched spot, but in a building this low, the advantage of using the roof would be so much more.

I hope I'm not wrong.

Kai placed his palm on the edge of the building, throwing himself over it and landing on two feet inside its bounds. He held his gun up, stepping in the gravel cautiously and carefully as he spun around and investigated his surroundings.

To the normal eye, it looked like any other rooftop.

There was a garden off to the side that looked like it was in the process of being transformed into a greenhouse; the ground around it was drenched in wet dirt – illustrating that someone had been up here recently to water it; whether that meant a few hours or a few minutes ago, he had no clue.