ꜱɪxᴛʏ - ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

𝗛is steps matched pace with Isaac, Rueben, and Rayne's as the four of them heard the commotion and reacted at the same time

𝗛is steps matched pace with Isaac, Rueben, and Rayne's as the four of them heard the commotion and reacted at the same time. Maverick wasn't far behind as they entered the kitchen. And as much as he tried to avoid this exact moment—Mason couldn't help himself.

He felt the blood pulsing under his skin, heating up his ears like a match to a flame.

His eyes grew three times wider.

Yet, as he finally caught sight of the person the voice from before belonged to, his voice, he managed to swallow his feelings and thoughts untethered. Almost as if he never had them before. Tides of disoriented emotions still caressed the outer walls of his eyeballs, but he wasn't going to let this moment of stress only be devoted to him.

There was a reason they were here, and he could bet it had nothing to do with their relationship.

Mason refocused himself as he fully grasped the situation; Kaedyn was holding Kai up by his waist, and despite the fact that they'd gotten into an accident in Oregon two hours ago, they were still soaking in water. The strands sticking to Kai's face inhibited his expression, but he knew in the back of his mind that it was for the better.

"What the hell happened to you two?" Rayne asked.

It wasn't until her voice snapped him out of his trance did he realize she was holding Rueben's hand so tightly, both were turning white with blood loss.

"Why am I not surprised Maverick didn't tell you?" Kai muttered.

"We got into an accident," Kaedyn answered properly, "'Bout two hours ago."

"We're just glad you guys are home," Caycee popped out from behind the two of them, "It was kind of a long-shot coming here; Kai needs medical attention."

"Why didn't you tell us about this, idiot," Isaac inquired, smacking Mav upside the head.

"Mason knew about it too!"

"Don't go pointing fingers!" he glared at him, "Some of us were too busy coddling your temper tantrum to talk to our friends—"

"Can you two knock it off?" Rayne interjected, standing between them now, "Time and place."

Mason mumbled a sorry under his breath while unable to look her in the eyes. There was still a lot of atonement needed before they were going to be friends again—and that was if she wanted that. Until then, he didn't mind playing the coward and ducking under the shield of his insecurities.

"Explain what's going on," Rueben crossed his arms.

"We had a meeting with the enemies today at the warehouse. We thought we were going to meet the boss named Leo today, but instead, we found out that Ash—Niccolió was working for them the entire time, which outed us and our plans."

"Though," Kai grimaced, continuing where his twin left off, "We knew something was fishy, so we asked Caycee to be on standby at a midpoint location."

"Good thing because you idiots don't know how to drive," Maverick rolled his eyes.