chapter 4

❑ midori hayashi

midori hayashi

i coughed out loud, my throat felt so dry as it burned when i coughed. it was dark, i couldn't spot anything familiar. but i was in a room. very lavish, red mattress which was so soft, the room had only one window. 

'hello?' i couldn't help but call out, memories of the previous events popped in. 'my sisters...!' i jumped out of the bed, a longing feeling resting inside my body. 

i walked over to the door, my fist ringing the door, my body had felt stiff, my mouth dry and my hair was frizzy. i did not like that. 

'my lady! calm down' a woman's voice came from behind me, i was spooked out. 'were. . . you here the whole time?'

'oh yes,' the woman bowed, 'my, i'm sorry about my manners. i'm sumi nakamoto, one of the king's several personal maids.' she smiled at me warmly. 

i didn't know whether to smile, or argue. 'where am i...? and what about my sisters! they can't survive alone!' 

'oh dear, don't worry. the king does have sympathy for his own people. the king was informed how you all three lived alone, he sent those lovely kids to a temporary care area. they're safe with food, clothes and other needs.' 

'they're girls. men are everywhere' i stated scared, truthfully though i never minded how narrow minded people were. 

'yes, that too is very true. but i assure you darling, they're safe and fine' 

i nodded reluctantly, how am i supposed to trust a woman i just met‒ well, not even met but just having a conversation with? i've been basically taken away.

'well um, darling you know what's about to happen to all of you younglings right?' damn lady, please don't scare me like that. it makes me feel i have been committed to mercilessly kill a royal and have been sentenced to death. 

i shan't do that by the way. 

'yes. . . i'm guessing we've been forcefully, taken here to be. . .' i struggled to find my words. what indeed is this choose-ning? 

'oh god! don't say that. the king and queen would never do that. we all must come to our needs. so, well, you women are going to undergo a type of test. where you'll be trained to be a proper lady. no matter what your background, heritage, heiress to, or relationships, you'll be trained for becoming the next queen.' 

the woman, sumi, gently led me to sit down, gesturing to listen carefully. 'but it's not going to be easy. there will be certain type of eliminations' i widened my eyes. death..?

'oh gosh, love don't think of a death sentence. that was an absolute no-go. you would just me sent back to your home. and made to speak nothing personal with other people. but please, keep up positive aura. here, now, after each lady shall start her competition and journey, they'll learn as they go. confidence is everything.

because this shall forever change your life. rags to riches. common to queens. important.

why did that light a spark inside?

thx for reading folks!14-07-22

14-07-22