Fear

13 March, 2021:

I had practiced my speech for hours and hours in front of the mirror. I guess I'd stuttered a million times. But still, at last, I felt that I was perfect.

This was my very first opportunity and I didn't want to lose it. I was nervous, immensely nervous. My hands were sweaty, and I was literally shaking all the while.

Still, I was determined as I wanted to complete my dreams. And this was the biggest opportunity and wasting it would cost a fortune.

And at last I decided to go on top. I climbed the stage though the only thought in my head at that very moment was to run away.

Standing there on top, I didn't even have the courage to raise my eyes, just cast downward. And when I couldn't speak for a minute or two which felt like an hour, their taunts and curses were heard. I was feeling lightheaded but knew better than to show it. The curtains were now fully open while my heart was ready to leap out of my body and though I was scared with the flashes going on, I began speaking in a meek voice. I stuttered a few times but at last I completed my speech for the event. It was a small beginning for sure but it was still a beginning.

Standing on the top, I could hear their words

Echoing through my head, their taunts and curses

That darkness from besides me was engulfing me

And the curtains were still being pulled up

My heart was beating erratically just not ready to settle

I could hear each footstep, each sound as if magnified

And I was stumped, with my whole body paralyzed

There were so many of them here, in front of me

Along with the frightening device recording me

That camera, I loved to click landscape pictures

Was right now appearing like a planned death trap

And the stage where I was standing, the lion's mouth

And with all eyes upon me, I knew I couldn't escape

©maanvi_bhagat