Her last message

She had assured him that she'd never leave him yet she had done the same. She had vanished into thin air without a trace. Or so he thought. And that's when he found it, her last message. A letter written in her beautiful cursive handwriting accompanied with her calligraphy, her letters which used to attract each viewer were now being a knife for him, cutting him down with each passing second he held the letter in his hands.She was his best friend or soulmate as it used to seem. He had always been oblivious to that fact. Many had tried to make him realize that before but to no avail. His eyes glistened with fresh tears that made way down from his chestnut brown eyes which were bloodshed to his red, plump cheeks slowly gliding towards his shoulder. His eyes closed on its own accord feeling the pain. And after collecting his emotions inside himself he decided, it was time to read the piece of paper laying in his pale, lifeless hands which he had been clutching so tightly as if his life depended on it.

"Dear Rishabh,

I know you'll be disappointed with me when you will find this letter. I tried my best to stay by your side as your friend but now the water that had been drowning me has crossed its limits and I need to get out of here to survive.

I still remember the time when we became friends. You were the charming boy who could make any girl melt with just a silly grin while I was the nerd with thick rimmed glasses avoiding any problem and suddenly you came crashing into my life to be my friend. For that, I am grateful till today and will be till my last breath. You were my first friend in boys and slowly you entered my nerdy group of four girls including me with two of your friends. And those two became my overprotective brothers with passing time, ready to save me from any danger and you were my best friend.

This will be the last message I'm leaving for you as I don't have the heart to write anymore. You are my best friend and I will miss you. I left you because of my own mistake, not yours. I fell in love with you and I started finding your every gesture weighing more important than it should be in my life.

Shreya is in love with you as well and I'm sure of it. And I know that maybe you love her as well. Shreya told me how I was spoiling your relation with her and I can understand her reasoning because I know how she feels. I left so there won't be any roadblock. I want you to be happy. That's all I pray for you.

And this is my last request from you as a best friend, don't try to find me. I really can't be heartbroken again. I know I'm being selfish and I'm sorry. I really am.

Your well wisher, Mansi. "

The letter left his hands, swaying in the light wind and gently falling on the bed. He tried to control his urge to cry but still a few stray tears betrayed him, falling on his hands which he had been using to cover his distressed face. But the question that finally lingered in his his mind, 'Did he love her?' And her smiling face with gleaming happiness in her grayish black eyes, was instantly in front of his eyes and he got his answer. In the span of their fifteen years of friendship, he had slowly fallen for her without even realizing it. He never had any feelings for Shreya as such but he was quite late in realizing it as Shreya's feelings were at their peek. He had read her request yet he couldn't abide by it. He slowly made his way to his other two friends, Kunal and Aryan, were already shocked with Mansi's decision as they had treated her like their little sister always from years and the search operation began. But first Rishabh needed to have his confrontation with Shreya.

When he confessed his true feelings in front of her, he'd expected Shreya to throw tantrums and cry vigorously. Instead, he was meet with an encouraging smile and she'd said, "Go, get your girl." And his face had instantly relaxed even with the sleepless nights he had been enduring from the time Mansi left.

He wanted to continue finding Mansi and tell her about his feelings with a smile on his face and maybe a rose in his hand? But fate had other plans since the next news he received shook him inside out. Mansi had an accident! She was hit by a drunk driver and her car had crashed with that of the drunk driver. And at that time, she was being treated in her hometown.

He rushed to the hospital as soon as he got the address with only one thought running through his head. The hope that she'll be fine.

Still, the regret of not stopping her before, not showing his feelings before, was eating him from the inside. He was worried till the time he reached the hospital and by the time he reached there, his anxiety had reached its utmost level.

He took a deep breath before entering the hospital, trying to calm his panicky self down. And then inquired about Mansi. The nurses informed him the room number and once again he rushed towards the ICU room. His heart was running a thousand miles per minute when he heard that she's in a critical condition battling death, trying to survive. But he knew he needed to stay strong to support Mansi and her family. For the next 12 crucial hours, he was awake all the time, giving water, tea, snacks and hugs to her family members, just praying to God and waiting for her to open her eyes.

And at last, his wishes were granted when she gently opened her eyes and whispered his name, "Rishabh."