Love Candidate - Pro Rookie - Chapter 17

Tap. Tap. I groaned and lifted my head off the desk to find the new employee knocking on ajumma's desk with an enthusiastic grin.

"I brought you a drink," The guy smiled and placed the drink on the desk. I thanked him and glanced at the busy workers heaving the goods with a bored expression. Ajumma really hired new employees, and I was told to do nothing but sit at her desk all day. She even purchased five new trucks to distribute the goods, and the store was pretty much bustling all day.

"Aigo? What's the matter with you? You're not even working, but you look so sick," Ajumma asked as soon as she entered the store. I exhaled, got onto my feet to stretch my stiff body and turned to look at her.

"Ajumma... I'm retiring after today," I muttered in exhaustion while rubbing my itchy eyes.

"Oh? That's good news! Are you going to work at your boyfriend's firm, right? I shouldn't hold you back in this small store," She proudly patted my shoulder. I stared at her in guilt because I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I'll be jobless after leaving her place, but it was for the best. I don't want to receive pity money from her. I lied to ajumma and told her I was offered a place at the corporation but ended up staying at my house for a week after I quit working. It was peaceful at home, and I tried to keep my day busy with house chores.

"Are you really not going to work?" Jimin asked as he got ready for work in the afternoon. He works at night nowadays and sleeps in throughout the day.

"I don't have work," I muttered with my empty eyes trained on the television.

"Why did you suddenly quit? If you need a job, I'll talk with Taehyung," Jimin exhaled, sitting down beside me with a worried look as he examined my strained condition.

"Why would I work with him?" I mumbled without looking at Jimin.

"He's very generous. You're good at negotiating, so I'm sure he'll agree to strike a fair deal with you," Jimin shrugged at me. Tsk... generous? He paid Jimin 5% of his profit just to have sex with me. Am I the deal? Jimin sighed and left my house when I refused to discuss my situation with him. What do I want to do? I don't know. Well. I avoided everyone for as long as possible until Secretary Yoo showed up to convince me to return to the corporation. He said I shouldn't give up on my training even if I'm not with Seokjin anymore. So I agreed to attend the lecture with him at our usual time and left the corporation afterward. I'll keep myself busy until I figure out a plan.

"Annyeong," A familiar face sat at my table across from me in the corporation canteen.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I nodded, unsurely bowing at Hoseok as he beamed at me with a radiant smile.

"You really don't remember me? Lee Jiyoung?" Hoseok smiled. How did he know my real name?

"We met a few times-"

"Aigo! School council! Remember?" Hoseok laughed at me. I froze in my seat with a confused expression- OH! I blinked at him in shock and dropped my snack on the table.

"Sunbae?!" I gasped in disbelief. Hoseok smiled and nodded at me with a bright smile.

"Wah! I found you again! I didn't know you were adopted by the chairman after your father passed! I always thought you looked familiar until I found out recently! Sorry for being mean when we met earlier!" Hoseok smiled at me apologetically.

"It's been a long time! I can't believe this!" I grinned at him in excitement. I joined the school council after entering high school to participate in student-related campaigns. Sunbae was always helpful and kind while he was coaching us. He helped me with the school network, so I learned a lot from him. Unfortunately, he graduated the same year, and I haven't seen him since he left. I chatted with Hoseok to recall our old days, happily laughing at our memories when life was still generous to us. I bid Hoseok goodbye after talking with him and left the corporation to find Jimin waiting for me by the entrance.