Love Candidate - Punishment - Chapter 25

No one dared to speak a word or budge an inch in the office as I blankly stared at Taehyung until blood drained from his terrified face. Jungkook finally lowered his face to rub his face, so I gulped and turned to look out the window because I couldn't stand the tense atmosphere within the room. I'm trying to process everything, but my brain is too overwhelmed by the overloading information. Not a single thought echoed in my head, and my heart was a hollow void. I couldn't feel anything, and I couldn't think of anything.

"Don't make up lies just because you're jealous of us," Taehyung glared at Seokjin's uptight face to defend his innocence.

"I have all the documents. Do I have to show it to you? After all these years... you never showed any remorse... for the crime you committed. You don't even know the victim you killed that night. It was me. It was me who had to endure the consequences of your reckless action. I wasn't the one behind the wheel when I ran over a living man- but it was me who chose to protect you that night. I dragged you out of the car and fled despite knowing damn well- you killed someone. I hid everything from you because I thought of you as my family, so ask me again. Am I really responsible for your crime? All these years... I kept my eyes on Jiyoung because I was guilty of a crime I didn't commit," Seokjin spitefully turned to stare at his younger brother. Their pointless argument is hurting my head. I turned away from the gloomy view to find Taehyung glaring furiously at his older brother. Why is everything so complicated? Taehyung suddenly stepped forward to hold my hands with his frightened eyes fixed on mine when he couldn't counter Seokjin. I didn't react to his desperate grasp and stared at him with a blank face.

"Jiyoung-"

"That night... when you told me the story. Why did you leave out the hit and run? Why?" I calmly studied his anxious face.

"I swear I didn't know it was your father-"

"So you ran your car over a person that night? Right?" I asked, impatiently interrupting him.

"Jiyoung, please-"

"Answer me," I ordered in irritation when he kept avoiding my question. Taehyung's hands suddenly shook as he stared at me with his puppy eyes. Why did you lie to me? He lowered his face to swallow the lump in his throat.

"I did, but-"

"Seokjin. Can you show me all the files? The evidence related to my father's death," I sighed, turning to stare at Seokjin's sore expression, causing Taehyung to whimper in distress.

"Jiyoung- You can't possibly believe him-"

"I won't believe either of you until I see the evidence, so bring them to me," I bitterly interrupted Taehyung and pulled my hand out of his grip. I can't feel anything right now, so I won't presume the truth until I have concrete evidence to avoid making irrational decisions.

"I'll bring it to you," Seokjin finally exhaled, slightly nodding at me with his hands on his hips. 

"It was our scheme, wasn't it!? To ruin us like this!?" Taehyung angrily turned to glare at Seokjin in irritation.

"Why are you so frightened if you're truly innocent? Jiyoung deserves to know the truth, so bring her the evidence," Jungkook crossed his arms at Taehyung's hysterical outburst.

"I tried to save you, but I can't do this anymore- not when it involves Jiyoung," Seokjin shook his head at Taehyung's hopeless face. I sighed heavily and walked out of the office in defeat. I can't act on impulse until I have proof of my father's death.

What if it was Taehyung who killed your father, Jiyoung? What will you do then?

He's the reason you lost your father- I said I will not make stupid assumptions without proper evidence! For all I know, it might be a scheme set up by his mother to break us apart!