Love Candidate - A Fairytale - Chapter 33

"-It's confirmed to be Chairman Hwang Jaehyun's corpsed inside the burnt warehouse-"

I sat listlessly against the bedhead with my emotionless gaze fixed on the news channel as the reporter announced my stepfather's death in a fire. There was nothing left inside me after I was saved from his evil grip. I was entirely numb, and my mind was empty as I stared at a portrait picture of the sick man. The man who has been hurting me. I thought could escape his clutch. I did. I escaped him, yet I could still feel his hostile grip on my body. Every part of my skin is covered in his disturbing touch. My skin would crawl with uncomfortable chills whenever reminded of the dirty things he did to my body.

Do I have to live with this scar forever? I'd rather die than live in my own disgusting body. I don't think I can ever erase his invisible imprints on my flesh, and I'd have to live with it until I die. A rush of coldness surged across my body as I stared at his arrogant eyes... gazing right into mine from the screen. Those eyes used to scare me... but I can't feel anything now. I am no longer frightened. I'm not in pain, and I'm not guilty either. Instead, I felt an intense hollow unrest wrenching in my chest. He's dead... and I'm still broken. He broke me again before he died, and I'm left to bear the consequences of his monstrous actions.

"Jiyoung-"

"Don't touch me," I seethed, jerking my hand away from Jungkook when he tried to touch me. Jungkook frowned at my withdrawal as he sat beside my hospital bed to observe my timid behavior.

"I won't hurt you-"

"Please refrain from touching her. She needs time to recover," Changwon sighed as he held my chin to check the bruises on my face. Jungkook sighed in defeat and leaned back on his chair, darting me an upset expression. Only Changwon and Seokjin were allowed to handle me. I don't know why but I didn't want to be touched by anyone around me. Not even Jungkook. My skin is still sensitive after being raped, and I can't even stare at my own body in the shower. I don't even want to touch my own skin.

"Did he really kill himself in the fire?" Jungkook doubtfully watched the news. They claimed my stepfather committed suicide by setting the warehouse on fire.

No, he didn't. Seokjin killed the man.

Third Person POV

Jeon Jungkook anxiously averted his eyes from the news channel to observe his best friend's dreadfully pale face in concern. He raced to the hospital as soon as he received a call from Seokjin to notify him of Jiyoung's unfortunate condition. There was something off about his friend. It was Jiyoung sitting before him... and yet- He couldn't feel her presence. He felt very disturbed for some reason... because it felt like he was looking at an unoccupied body.

The sparkle in her eyes was gone, and she would remain sleepless like an empty shell.

Changwon kept on giving Jungkook anxious glances as if he had something to say but would never approach Jungkook to address the issues. Jiyoung was very withdrawn after her return and would refuse to make contact with anyone. She wouldn't let anyone touch her body... and would often refuse the hospital meal. Jungkook had to get her street food instead because... at least... she'd munch it. Jungkook blinked out of his thoughts when Seokjin entered the room with a bandaged forehead. Jiyoung immediately turned to look at the heir with her yearning eyes as Seokjin approached her. Unlike the way... she rejected Jungkook's touch- Jiyoung reached out to embrace Seokjin.

Jungkook gloomily watched Jiyoung extend her arms for another man.

The heir carefully sat on the side of Jiyoung's bed to pull her into a comforting hug. She gently snuggled against another man's body to absorb his warmth with her hands gripped tightly around Seokjin's waist. For a brief moment... Jungkook felt a spark of jealousy igniting within his chest. He was super hurt by their interactions, yet he didn't dare complain. He never really gave Jiyoung the comfort she needed despite knowing she was in desperate need of affection. He was scared of getting too attached to her. How can he complain about it? He can't. Jiyoung is receiving love from another man because he's a coward.