Chapter 24: The Guardians

Phoebe took a shaky breath as she felt her eyes watering. It took every ounce of strength in her to not break down in tears. First Luther now Klaus, the only person who didn't care about her past, the only one who helped her fit in, the only one who didn't let her past define her, or use her. He was the only one who truly understood her. Phoebe tried to run to the door but Ben held tight.

"He's gone Phoebe, I'm sorry." Ben whispered in her ear but she refused to believe it.

"Let her go." Diego said softly to Ben. Reluctantly he did, knowing it would be better to have someone who understood her relationship with Klaus comforting her. As soon as Phoebe felt Ben's grip slacken, she tried to get to the door but Diego caught her. He gently pulled her into his arms.

"I know how much Klaus meant to you. We all do." Diego whispered and it was all Phoebe wanted to hear. Those words brought her comfort. Eventually Reginald spoke bringing everyone back to reality.

"We must hurry children. Five, Allison and Viktor will go together, searching one part of the hotel. Ben and Sloane will search another part and lastly Diego, Lila and Phoebe will search a different place." He ordered before walking away looking at his notebook.

"No! Phoebe will go with us." Ben protested.

"Ben it's fine. I'll come find you." She said giving him a small reassuring smile.

Everyone went their separate ways looking for the portal.

"Hey, I'm hungry." Phoebe said quietly trying not to think of Klaus or Luther.

"Oh my god, same. Let's eat some sushi then go find this portal thingy." Lila said enthusiastically.

"Congratulations on the whole pregnancy thing." Phoebe said casually as she got some sushi.

"You told her but won't let me tell anyone else?" Diego asked looking at Lila.

"I didn't tell her." She replied with a face full of sushi.

"I have enhanced senses, remember? As well as mind reading" Phoebe said before she began walking to the elevator.

"Where are you going?" Diego asked her, gently taking hold of her wrist.

"To find Ben, so I suggest you take your hand off me Diego!" Phoebe said firmly, feeling her emotions getting out of control.

"We go together then." He replied and Lila rolled her eyes before making her thoughts clear.

"But I'm starving." She complained and Diego gently dragged her away from the sushi.

As they walked down endless corridors and looked in limitless amounts of rooms, Phoebe began to lose hope.

"How is this place so big!" She said kicking open the nearest door. As she walked through it, something changed and when she turned round, Diego and Lila were no where to be seen.

"Diego!? Lila?!" Phoebe shouted trying not to panic. "Pull yourself together Phoebe! Panicking never helped any situation!" She told herself firmly before continuing her search for Ben. As she turned a corner she saw Five walking down the corridor.

"Five?" She asked in disbelief.

"Phoebe?" He asked and picked up his pace. They hugged each other and Five suddenly changed as he saw 2 more people walk closer to him. Phoebe had her back to them so Five let go of her before gently turning her around so she was facing the newcomers.

"Ben!" She exclaimed running to him.

"You found me?" He asked in disbelief.

"I said I would." She laughed, happy to be in his arms.

There happiness was soon short lived as a loud bell like sound rang out through the hotel and the light began to change, creating a much more eerie atmosphere.

"That wasn't good was it?" Phoebe asked nervously.

"Nope." Five replied as one of the Guardians came round the corner wielding a samurai sword. Five grabbed an axe that was on the wall with Sloane went in for revenge.

"Should we help?" Phoebe asked half heartedly."

"I think they've got it covered." Ben replied wrapping his arms round Phoebe.

Lila and Diego

As Lila and Diego walked through the hotel looking for the portal thingy and anyone else, Diego tried to persuade Lila to find safety somewhere.

"Lila please, just find someplace safe to stay. For your sake and for the baby's sake." Diego said.

"And let you have all the fun? No! If Phoebe were here she won't let you try make me stay somewhere safe!" Lila replied walking round a corner.

"Shit! Diego, run!!" Lila shouted as one of the Guardians that wielded a large sharp weapon came into sight.

"Shittt!" Diego yelled as they ran to the elevator. Before they reached the elevator both Diego and Lila threw knives at it byt they just bounced of the Guardians armour. They made it to the elevator and went down to the ground floor.

Ben, Phoebe, Sloane and Five

They had taken cover in one of the several washing rooms. Five and Sloane had no Luck trying to take down their guardian.

"Ben, I need you to promise me something. If things go south-" Phoebe started to say when Ben cut her off.

"Nothing is going to go wrong!" He said.

"Yeah, but if things do, I need to promise me you'll go on ahead. You need to help make sure you save the world whether I'm by your side or not." She said looking into his eyes.

"Listen to me-"

"No Ben, you listen to me! Promise me!" She said firmly but Ben could see the tears in her eyes that threatened to spill.

"Ok, I promise I'll continue no matter what happens." He said. Phoebe looked at Sloane and Five who both promised as well.

"So how do we kill that bastard then?" Phoebe asked, bringing the attention back to the more pressing matter.

"There is a space, at the back." Sloane said, out of breath.

"I need to get behind it." Five said.

Sloane went first, trying to distract the guardian but it threw a knife at Sloane which grazed her side. When Five was about to swing his axe, the guardian swung his hand slapping Five causing his to fall to the ground.

"Shit." Muttered Phoebe as got ready to shift but Ben stopped her.

"You shift now and you're fucked if you need to be human again." He whispered to her before showing her a familiar weapon.

"Diegos knives he gave me." She gasped taking them off Ben.

"Yeah, I've had them with me since I took them off you." He said.

Phoebe kissed Ben before and out to the Guardian. Ben used his tentacles to hold the Guardian still to allow Phoebe to use her knives. The Guardian used its samurai to cut through Ben tentacles.

"Ben!" Phoebe called out to him, turning her head to look at him.

"PHOEBE LOOK OUT!" Sloane shouted, trying to warn Phoebe but it was too late. The Guardian pushed his samurai sword into Phoebe, going straight through her stomach.

"Phoebe!" Five yelled, back on his feet, as he swung the axe hitting the small space on the Guardians back. The Guardian let go of the sword and fell to the ground, dead.

Phoebe looked down at the sword in her stomach and pulled it out before falling to her knees. Ben caught her and laid her on his lap trying to stop the bleeding.

Chapter 24 is done.

I didn't want to leave it at this stage but I don't want this chapter to be overly long as there aren't many left.

So Phoebe's been stabbed.

Xx